Picture a place where you can keep your feet in the sand as you sip a delicious tropical cocktail. These spots offer the most stunning ocean views, great ambiance and spectacular sunsets.
Constance Moofushi Resort doesn't just have a view of the lagoon, it has its own private lagoon. Located on a stunning tropical island in the Maldives, the resort is ...
Beach Vacation Ideas
61 spectacular villas on stilts are dotted along the hillside with stunning views of the bay below.
This getaway with elegant cottages is located on a 27-acre island. Latitudes Restaurant has an indoor dining room decorated with photos of Ernest Hemingway and an outdoor patio overlooking the Gulf of Mexico.
The property is surrounded by a tropical rainforest which gives it an air of privacy and seclusion.
There are five championship golf courses, a spa, and two tennis clubs featuring 23 clay courts, five hard courts and a practice court with an automatic retrieval ball machine.
Guests have access to a 18-hole championship golf course, luxury spa and many restaurants.
Guests are accommodated in luxury suites with private pools.
The property offers a great selection of activities for guests of all ages, from complimentary children's programs in the summer to relaxing treatments at the spa.
This getaway is located on the island of Mauritius, overlooking the Indian Ocean. The resort offers golf, spa and many activities.
All of the 210 rooms and suites have views of the ocean because of the unique circular design.
Book a cottage on your next vacation getaway, and enjoy plenty of space, privacy and views.
From its inception and building design, the hotel consistently pursued a concept of sustainable development and embraced ecological conservation and preservation practices.
Beach Vacation Planning Tips
Be sure you know what you want and what you are getting. This may seem obvious, but during our travels we’ve talked to enough disappointed vacationers to say that this is the most important point. While a vacation on the beach in Thailand may sound fun and exotic compared to Southern California, be sure to consider everything that the trip entails: the cost, long airplane flight, etc.
Often travelers don’t understand exactly what kind of a vacation they are booking. For example, during our stay at Travassa Hana in East Maui, many people complained that there was nothing to do. The hotel manager helped them arrange a vacation on the busy West Side, but most resorts won’t be this accommodating, so be sure to research your destination before you book your stay. The actual resort may offer pools, beaches, golf, tennis and other activities, but if it is pretty isolated like in the case of East Maui, where the drive to the nearest nightclub or shopping takes several hours, that may not be for everyone.
Practical Travel Tips
From travel time, to the cost, time of year and your top interests, here are our tips for planning the ultimate beach vacation.
- Total Travel Time and Distance: How far do you want to go? Reaching an amazing beach resort in the South Pacific will take several airline flights, a time change (which means jetlag for a few days) and it will be expensive. But once you get there, you can expect an experience of a lifetime.
- Total Cost: The cost of your trip will depend on the room rate, airfare, train tickets, or gas, if you are driving. Some destinations will be more expensive and others will be cheaper also based on the availability of food. If the only place to get dinner is the resort restaurant, you can expect to spend more than if you can go to a local café. Be sure to factor in the cost of activities and spa treatments because they can add to 100s of dollars per day. Look for all inclusive packages in major resort destinations like the Caribbean, Thailand, Bali, Maldives and more.
- Time of Year: When can you get away for your well-deserved beach holiday? If you are taking off work in the summer, there will be many great choices just a short drive or flight away. In the winter, you will have to travel to the tropics or to the Southern Hemisphere (Australia, New Zealand) to enjoy warm weather and sunny days. While you can still find great last minute deals, cheap airline tickets and room specials, you should be prepared to pay more. This is probably why most people on a budget plan their beach vacation in the summer.
- What will the weather be like? The weather Is unpredictable anywhere you go. Even destinations like Bora Bora which are known for their sunny weather can be hit by a tropical storm just as you get there. Nothing is more disappointing than saving up for your vacation, taking a long flight, just to get there and have it rain for a week. But it happens. To lower the probability of that happening, look up the local climate and avoid booking your getaway during the rainy season.
- Beach Vacation Packages: If you are looking for the best package, there are many ways to get started. Browse our beach and island packages pages which offer specials and deals from some of the top beach hotels and resorts in the world. We hand-pick them and hotels can’t pay to be included – the packages have to be good to show up on our site.
- All Inclusive Beach Vacations: If you don’t want to worry about the cost of activities, food, extra resort surcharges and other fees, the best way to go is all-inclusive. Certain resort chains like Couples resorts are popular with couples on their honeymoon, anniversary or romantic trip who want to know the final cost of their vacation before they leave home. You can find all inclusive packages that include all or some meals, an array of fun activities and adventures, and all resort fees in the cost of the stay. You don’t have to book an all inclusive vacation through a travel agent. In some cases, the resort offers all inclusive pricing with airfare.
- Secluded Beach Vacations for Couples: The best secluded beaches are found on islands, some remote and some just a short boat ride away, such as the private islands in Florida. Honeymooners love quiet spots where they can have picnics, swim, surf, snorkel and scuba dive while enjoy plenty of privacy. Travel to the tropics is most popular in November, December, January, February, March and April. In September and October, you can usually find great deals to secluded beaches in Maui, Hawaii, Oahu, Kauai and the Big Island.
- Beach Vacation Packing List: Beach attire will vary by destination, but generally beach resorts require clothes that are much more casual than city destinations. Pack a few comfortable outfits for daytime activities such as hiking, and dresses for a romantic dinner under the stars. If you are worried that your attire is too casual, call the resort concierge to inquire about the dress code in the hotel restaurant. Tropical resorts tend to be very casual – in Hawaii it’s completely acceptable to go to dinner at a fancy restaurant in flip-flops because it’s expected that vacationers will want to let their hair down and not worry too much about bringing along their entire wardrobe. Other essentials to not forget include great sunglasses, sunscreen and your mask for snorkeling. One year old and two year old kids will add more items to your list, because you don’t want to worry about hunting down essentials once you check into your hotel.
- Beach Villas: If money is no object and you want to spend your vacation in the best beach villa money can buy, there are many incredible choices in the U.S., Europe, Asia, the Seychelles, South Africa and more.
- Beach Resort Activities: The great thing about vacationing on the beach is an almost endless choice of activities: surfing, swimming, sea kayaking, beach combing, snorkeling, scuba diving, fishing, boat rides, whale watching, dolphin swim, paddleboarding, romantic sunset dinners on the water, sunset cruises, morning yoga on the sand, horseback riding, scenic hikes and more. Pick a few of these activities that are the most important to you and find a hotel that will give you easy access to most of them. The most important thing on vacation is simplicity, not having to drive for miles to get to your next adventure because that’s the time that you could have been relaxing on the beach with a cool drink.
You will find beach deals in the US, including popular destinations like Florida, California, Virginia, Miami Beach, Kaanapali beach in Maui, Georgia, Huntington Beach, Key West, South Carolina, Michigan, San Diego, Oregon, Texas, East Coast spots and West Coast getaways. International destinations include Caribbean packages, Thailand, Mexico, Bali, Bermuda, Bahamas, Dominican Republic, cheap deals in Puerto Rico and more. Look for seasonal specials in the early fall and late spring.
Tips for Families
If you have kids, the cost can add up because you will have to purchase additional airline tickets (although babies and toddlers under 2 can fly free on most airlines, but you will have to share your seat during the flight). Click here to read of tips for traveling with little kids on a plane.
Families should look for family-friendly resorts which offer facilities such as kids’ clubs, protected beaches with calm water, pools, kid-friendly restaurants and connecting rooms. During the summer holiday season (May, June, July and August), many resorts offer extra activities for family travelers which are typically not available during other times of the year. If you plan your family getaway on the fringe of the busy and off-season, you can find great packages and deals.
A beach getaway with a 1 year old or an 18 month old baby will mean that you need quick access to your hotel room for naps and feedings, so the beach should not be far away for the whole family to have fun. Teens will want to be more independent, so look for programs that will let them meet other kids and have a good time.
Cheap Beach Vacations
To find the best cheap beach vacation, think local, someplace where you can drive to, like a nearby ocean beach or a lake, perfect for a weekend getaway. The cost of transportation is often the highest percentage of the trip expense, especially with a family. If you pick a spot where you can drive, the holiday will be much cheaper. The second place to save money is accommodations.
Campgrounds let you plan a cheap stay, without breaking the bank and often give you the flexibility to bring your family dog or pet. Once you pay for your camping spot, you can cook your own food and have a family BBQ. Cabins are another great way to go. Take a look at these affordable wilderness cabins on the East Coast where you will have access to lake beaches, complete with kayaking, boating and swimming.
Another way to save is to look for cheap beach rentals – there are many services that will let you see a review before you book. Keep in mind, however, that places often write fake reviews to make themselves look better. If you want to do the whole trip for under $500, $1,000 or $1,500, it will take some careful research.
No matter what the season, taking a beach vacation is a relaxing and fun thing to do. There are many amazing destinations all over the world to choose from.
- Hawaii: Polo Beach is a sandy bay with clear water, great for for swimming and snorkeling. It is located in South Maui and is fronted by the Fairmont Kea Lani Maui.
- Jamaica: Negril's seven-mile beach is the longest continuous stretch of white sand in Jamaica, located near Negril on the western tip of Jamaica. Find your favorite stretch of sand and a coconut palm tree to relax near the sea. You can stay at The Caves which is located nearby.
- Bahamas: Experience white sandy beaches of the Caribbean at the Atlantis. Enjoy long romantic walks or join in on the water fun at the resort. Melia Nassau Beach is another great destination, offering a sandy stretch of a Caribbean shore, outdoor pools, and a choice of accommodations.
- Australia: Australia offers many great beachfront accommodations, snorkeling and scuba diving, spas and an array of water sports. Heron Island is located on the famous Great Barrier Reef where you can spend your trip surrounded by pristine nature. Enjoy whale watching in September, bird watching, watch sea turtles lay eggs and explore the wonders of the coral reef with a mask and snorkel. Kewarra near Cairns offers a beautiful sandy bay, a garden filled with exotic birds and pristine rainforest surroundings. Thala Beach Lodge, also near Cairns, is a unique getaway with two pools, waterfalls, spas and grottos. Lizard Island has 24 secluded beaches, a freshwater swimming pool, snorkeling and scuba diving on its own coral reefs. Ask for a room right next to the ocean.
- Florida: The Breakers in Palm Beach has a spa, golf course and a one-half mile sandy shore. There is a separate children's pool, Family Entertainment Center and a kid's program. Families can reserve up to five adjoining rooms and children under 16 stay free in the same room as their parents. In Orlando, the Loews Hard Rock Hotel at Universal Orlando has a 240-foot slide and a sandy beach. The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island, located on a barrier island in northeast Florida, has a long sandy shore, a golf course and the Ritz Kids program for children ages 5 to 12.
- Portugal: Reid's Palace on Madeira island has a rocky shore with sharp black rock. You can lounge by the pool taking in the view or swim in the ocean.
- California: Among the kid-friendly getaways in California, Hotel Del Coronado is one of the most famous. It offers a number of facilities, including the seasonal Coast Club Teen Lounge, tours and lessons in kayaking, surfing, tennis and biking.
- Miami Beach: A popular hot-spot for movie stars and fashion models, Miami offers miles of sandy shoreline, many restaurants and night-long parties at local nightclubs. If you need a place to stay, The Tides is a luxury hotel with spectacular views.
- Oahu: When planning a vacation in Hawaii, the first step is to decide where to go. Each island is different, offering a choice of accommodation, activities and scenery. The most famous destination in Hawaii is Waikiki on the island of Oahu. It's home to numerous hotels and resorts, some right on the sandy shore and others a just a few blocks from it. Travelers come here for their honeymoon, on a family trip and to learn how to surf. The Royal Hawaiian is decorated all in pink. Because of its historic ambiance and romantic atmosphere, the hotel is especially popular with honeymooners. Next to the Royal Hawaiian is the 1,695-room Sheraton Waikiki which offers many rooms overlooking the ocean. If you are looking for a more secluded getaway, reserve a cottage at Turtle Bay on the north end of the island. The resort has two golf courses, a spa and a kid's club.
- Maui: For those who like dry sunny weather, the resorts of West Maui offer plenty of activities. Kapalua has three beautiful bays, three golf courses, tennis, spas and other activities for guests of all ages. Makena Resort is located on a more secluded spot, surrounded by scenic views. If you are looking for a place that will let you get away from it all, try the quiet town of Hana on East Maui. The only luxury resort in town, Travassa Hana, has a relaxing spa and a restaurant that serves dishes made from organic ingredients. Visitors can spend their days relaxing on the tropical Hamoa Beach.
- Kauai: The island of Kauai in Hawaii offers several great options. The St. Regis Princeville has a sandy shore and luxury accommodations. The Resort Butler service at The St. Regis includes guest welcome upon arrival, personalization of the guest suite, unpacking and dining reservations. Sheraton Kauai Resort offers snorkeling, landscaped gardens and a choice of rooms and suites.
- Georgia: Georgia's barrier islands, once the playground for American aristocracy, offer historic ambiance, sandy shore and a laid-back way of life. Jekyll Island has miles of paved bike paths and three 18-hole golf courses. The Jekyll Island Club Hotel is a National Historic Landmark. Sea Island is famous for its championship golf and sandy shore. Children play afternoon tennis free of charge and can participate in complimentary golf and tennis clinics at The Cloister at Sea Island. During the summer, Spring Break and holidays, the resort provides a program for kids ages 3 to 11.
Vacationers have a choice of thousands of amazing beach destinations, from charming oceanside towns for a quick weekend trip, to luxury tropical resorts half a world a way.