• Please support our journalism through affiliate links. Affiliate Disclosure
  • Written by our human editors, structured with the help of AI.

Review & FAQ:

The Old Sheldon Church Ruins is a historic site of the former Sheldon Church located in Yemassee, northern Beaufort County, South Carolina, approximately 17 miles from Beaufort.

The building was originally known as Prince William's Parish Church, built between 1745 and 1753 in the English Georgian style. The traditional belief is that the church was burned in 1779 by the British during the Revolutionary War and was rebuilt in 1826. It was burned again in 1865 by the Federal Army during the Civil War.

According to another theory, the church was not burned at all but was destroyed when the interior materials were used to build homes burnt by Sherman army.

The ruins are surrounded by majestic oaks and several scattered graves. The remains of Colonel William Bull lie inside the ruins of the church. He was credited with assisting in establishing the physical layout of Savannah, Georgia.

The ruins are today a popular site in the Lowcountry for photographers and wedding ceremonies.

Old Sheldon Church Rd, Yemassee, SC 29945, Phone: 843-522-1712

Old Sheldon Church Ruins
© jovannig/stock.adobe.com

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Plan Your Trip

Get Ready to Go!

Need some more help?


Go to travel reservations.