There's nothing quite like roaming around a green space with your friends and family, or even just by yourself. Cities can have a lot of advantages and fun things to do, but we all need to reconnect with nature from time to time, enjoying some greenery and wildlife in a calming, soothing setting.
Parks and arboretums offer the perfect escape from the urban world, allowing us to feel refreshed and rejuvenated, enjoying the safety and comfort that trees and grass can provide and allowing us to enjoy relaxation and recreation with our friends. For residents and visitors to Philadelphia, Awbury Arboretum is the perfect green space to explore.
Awbury Arboretum - Northwest Philadelphia
Awbury Arboretum is located in the Germantown neighborhood of Northwest Philadelphia. A historic green location with many stories to tell, Awbury Arboretum was once owned as private land by a Quaker family, but has been a public park for almost a century now.
Stretching out over 55 acres of lush land, Awbury Arboretum has been a natural haven for Philadelphia residents for several generations and continues to be one of the best places to visit in the city, as well as a key location for hosting events like weddings.
Visiting Awbury Arboretum
Awbury Arboretum is a lovely place to visit for families and friends in the Philadelphia area. If you're looking for the best parks in Philadelphia or just want to get away from the noise and lights of the city for a little while and spend some time in a beautiful, natural space, this is the place to be. Here's all you need to know about visiting Awbury Arboretrum:
- Dates - Awbury Arboretum is open every single day of the year. Even on holidays and special occasions, this public park is open to all.
- Times - The arboretum is open from dawn until dusk each day.
- What To Expect - The grounds of Awbury Arboretum extend for more than 55 acres. You’ll find various gardens and grassy spaces to explore, making this a great place to bring the family for fun-filled walks and picnics. Various public special events are also held at the arboretum throughout the year, so there’s always something fun to look forward to.
- The Francis Cope House - The Francis Cope House is a historical building, once owned by Henry Cope, a ship owner in Philadelphia who bought up much of the land that would eventually become Awbury Arboretum. Now, it is used as the offices for the Awbury Arboretum, open from 9am to 5pm on weekdays all through the year. The Francis Cope House is not a museum, as such, but it's a historic building and guests can enter during opening hours and take a look around. The house can also be rented out for special occasions and private functions.
- Prices - The Awbury Arborteum is totally free to enter at all times of the year. The arboretum does, however, rely on donations in order to maintain the grounds and preserve the historic Francis Cope House, and there are various ways you can help out.
- Can I take dogs to Awbury Arboretum? - Dogs are more than welcome at Awbury Arboretum. However, dog owners are encouraged to act responsibly, cleaning up after their pet pups and keeping them on leashes at all times. Dogs should also be kept away from the flower beds and more delicate areas of the arboretum grounds.
Special Events and Weddings at Awbury Arboretum
Awbury Arboretum is without a doubt one of the best places to host weddings in Philadelphia, and also a perfect location for all other kinds of social events. The historic Francis Cope House is an ideal location for wedding receptions, with its beautiful Victorian architecture and exceptional interior design lending a traditional and elegant vibe to any occasion.
- Award-Winning - Awbury Arboretum has been actually won Couples Choice Awards for its beauty and elegance as a wedding venue in Philadelphia.
- Catering - The arboretum has a partnership in place with renowned local catering company, Birtchtree Catering. Perfect for all the food, drink, and hospitality needs of your special event, Birchtree Catering is a female-owned company with a focus on sustainability and high levels of satisfaction.
- A Good Cause - Since Awbury Arboretum is a non-profit, hosting your event here will help to support the grounds and preserve the space for future enjoyment, so you can have a great wedding or special event and know that the whole thing is for a good cause too.
- Lush Lands - The beautiful gardens and grounds of the arboretum provide the backdrop for a marriage or special social event. You can do photoshoots out by the flowers and roam around the paths with your guests, and the venue itself can hold up to 175 people, so there's plenty of space for all to enjoy.
Supporting Awbury Arboretum
If you'd like to preserve Awbury Arboretum for future generations and ensure that this beautiful park continues to be free and open to all, you can give something back in the following ways:
- Donations - Awbury Arboretum accepts donations of all sizes both online and by mail. You can simply fill out a safe and secure online form to make a one-off donation or simply post a check via the mail to 1 Awbury Rd, Philadelphia, PA 19138.
- Volunteer - Awbury Arboretum relies on the kindness and generosity of volunteers to run various special events for the public throughout the year and help to keep the arboretum clean and safe for all. Various weekly and monthly gardening and maintenance sessions are organized all through the year, so if you have any free time you'd like to dedicate to a good cause, this is a great place to do some volunteering in Philadelphia.
- Buy Firewood - Awbury Arboretum also sells firewood, offering an additional way for visitors to support the non-profit efforts of the arboretum and preserve it for the future while also obtaining some useful fuel for their own home fireplaces or other uses.
1 Awbury Rd, Philadelphia, PA 19138, website