Many vacationers decide to plan their trip last minute and there is a great selection of destinations to choose from. Whether you are looking for a romantic inn, destination spa or an active outdoor getaway, there are many options. Last minute booking can mean less choice in the type of accommodations and activities such as spa treatments during busy holiday weekends. The best time for a last minute escape are weekdays, especially if you are driving to a nearby inn or a spa resort.
Last Minute Packages in the US and in the Caribbean
- Kaanapali, Maui from $198 for Two: Escape to the sunny Kaanapali, Maui with a Hawaiian special. Kaanapali Beach Hotel often offers last minute offers. "Catch of the Day Special" starts at $198 for two and includes: breakfast buffet, lunch, dinner discounts and a $50 dinner credit. For golfers, the hotel is offering a deal that lets you save 20% on your golf. The "19th Hole Package" starts at $707 for two and includes: Two (2) nights, Buffet breakfast, One (1) round of golf, drinks and a Full size car. The property offers a variety of promotions on its website. Read more about the the hotel and browse other great offers.
- 40% Off in Sonoma: Gaige House is a stylish getaway in Sonoma, California, featuring elegant interiors and attentive service. The inn is offering a 40% off last minute special which includes: Your choice of guestroom or suite, Full breakfast buffet each morning, An evening welcome cheese reception, Complimentary cookies and bottled water and Onsite parking and wireless Internet service. Rooms start at $165. You may also like the "Linger Longer" offers available in June. The package includes: Special discounted room rate, breakfast buffet, hors d'oeuvres, cookies and refreshments. The special is valid Sunday through Thursday. Guests receive 15% off regular rates for a one night stay and 25% off regular rates for a two or more night stay. Couples planning a romantic break in Sonoma can add on the Celebration and Signature Celebration Package (from $45). The offer includes: Your choice of a bottle of wine, sparkling wine or cider, Box of chocolate truffles and A Four Sisters Inns Cookbook.
- Ultra Luxury Suites in St. Lucia from $8,347 for 7 Nights: Jade Mountain is an all-suite romantic getaway for couples, offering stunning suites with their own infinity pools. If you are planning a longer stay, ask for the Tropical Tranquility package which includes 7 nights, breakfast and dinner in Winter, airport transfers, cocktail, drinks package, fruit and a walking tour. You will also enjoy 2 one hour spa treatments per person, sunset celebration and bathrobes. Also included in the package are usage of tennis court, watersports equipment, beach chairs, and complimentary water taxi to the beach. Rates start at $8,347 for two guests for 7 nights.
- Miami from $212 per Night: Spend a weekend in Miami exploring top restaurants, hot nightclubs and boutique shops. Look for last minute offers and spend your savings on a great night out. Stay a minimum of 2 nights through September 15 at the luxury Mandarin Oriental Miami and receive a daily credit along with a special on the room. Ask for the "Luxury Breaks" deal which starts at USD $299 per night and includes a daily dining or spa credit of USD $50 per day, or USD $100 if you reserve a suite. JW Marriott Marquis Miami is offering deals starting at just $212 per night. The weekend special is for a King or Double room with a city view.
Tips for Travelers
It's always a good idea to look for deals and specials, regardless of the season. You can call the hotel of your choice directly or check their Twitter page. If they are not fully booked, you can get a last minute deal and spend your savings on additional activities or a romantic dinner. If you are planning to fly, check airline web sites for last minute deals. You can also look for packages to popular destinations such as Las Vegas or New York City which include accommodations, airfare and car rental. Ideas from NY include oceanfront resorts, historic inns and spa hotels. If you live in Los Angeles, destinations include Santa Monica, Monterey, the wine country and family resorts on the coast of California. Getaways from Seattle include beautiful lodges surrounded by forests and waterfalls.
- Last Minute Trips from Seattle: Explore Western Washington's wine country and stay at Willows Lodge which offers romantic accommodations and a full-service spa. Bring out your inner child and plan a last minute weekend getaway to the Cedar Creek Treehouse at Mount Rainier where you can spend the night 50 feet above ground. Salish Lodge and Spa is a 30-minute drive from Seattle. The hotel is located above the spectacular 300-foot Snoqualmie Falls, offering outdoor activities and a spa.
Friday Harbor House on San Juan Island overlooks the ocean and offers guest rooms with with floor-to-ceiling windows, jetted tubs and fireplaces. Saratoga Inn on Whidbey Island is another great hideaway.
- From Los Angeles: Plan a last minute weekend getaway from the city to relax, unwind and reconnect with your friends and family in a beautiful setting. Shutters on the Beach is an oceanfront weekend getaway from LA, set on a sandy beach in Santa Monica. Santa Monica is a Southern California vacation destination offering visitors numerous activities, shops and restaurants. Bike paths let you explore the area by bike, there are many concerts and theater. Couples can visit galleries or head to a nightclub. The Huntley Hotel, also in Santa Monica, offers luxury amenities such as private chauffeur service in an exclusive Maserati QuattroPorte. If you are looking for last minute weekend getaways in Monterey, Hyatt Regency Monterey offers renovated guest rooms and a new spa. Monterey offers shopping, wine tasting, surfing lessons and golf. Cannery Row is features a collections of shops, local artists' galleries, restaurants and attractions such as the Monterey Bay Aquarium. You can rent a bike and follow the Monterey Bay Coastal Recreational Trail to explore the town. Monterey is about 6 hours from Los Angeles. If you are taking the scenic Highway 1 through Big Sur, the trip usually takes an additional hour. San Ysidro Ranch has 41 individually-decorated cottages set on 500 acres, ideal for romantic walks and plenty of privacy. Get a taste or Europe on your vacation at Les Mars Hotel in Sonoma. The hotel offers Swiss-trained staff and 16 guest accommodations decorated with 18th century antiques.
- From New York City: Last minute weekend getaways from New York include romantic inns, full-service resorts with spas, beach getaways and more. Elm Court is a romantic historic getaway in Lenox where you can book a suite with a jacuzzi and a fireplace. Berkshire County in Western Massachusetts is a famous fall foliage weekend getaway where you can go apple picking, take a scenic drive or rent a canoe. Or take advantage of the Berkshires 4 Theatre Collaborative designed to make theatre more affordable for residents of and visitors to the Berkshires to see two or more different plays in the area. Shakespeare & Company, based in Lenox, offers a number of different performances year round. The White Elephant Hotel on Nantucket is a weekend getaway with a spa, ocean views and a gourmet restaurant. Plan a last minute vacation in the off season and enjoy this charming island without the summer crowds. Visit the lighthouses, take photos on one of the beaches and try local beer at Cisco Brewers. The Daffodil Festival in April features 3 million bright yellow blooms. In the winter, enjoy Nantucket Noel and the Christmas Stroll. Wequassett Inn Resort & Golf Club overlooks the ocean in Cape Cod, Massachusetts, offering stylish oceanview accommodations and golf privileges at Cape Cod National Golf Club. Or plan a last minute weekend getaway to A Little Inn on Pleasant Bay which has just nine guest bedrooms.
More Last Minute Trips
- 20% Off 5-Night Stays in Tuscany: The historic Villa San Michele, located in a restored monastery overlooking the city of Florence, is offering a selection of specials for couples and families. Ask for the "Great Affordable" package which includes a three-night stay in a luxury guest room, Roundtrip airport or railway transfer, A poolside lunch, Daily American breakfast, Welcome amenities including Italian wine, fresh fruit and flowers and Two dinners at La Loggia. The "Just the Two of Us" package at Villa San Michele is for lovers and includes: Luxury accommodation, Candlelit dinner for two at La Loggia, Sunset cruise along the Arno River, Welcome amenities including Champagne, fresh fruit and flowers and One poolside lunch. Plan a longer getaway and explore everything this beautiful city has to offer. Save 20% on stays of five nights or longer with the "More of Less" offer which includes Luxury accommodation, Daily American breakfast and a 20% discount when you stay five nights.
- Spa & Beach Breaks from 385 Euro: Extend your summer, get pampered at the spa or indulge in a culinary retreat for less with these great last minute offers. Escape to the secluded Kempinski Seychelles resort with the Spa package which includes: breakfast buffet at Cafe Lazare, one 120 minutes SAP Summer Energizer Package per person, service charge and VAT. The price is 385 Euro. Take a trip to Belize and save at Turtle Inn through November 20. Extend your summer at this beautiful Francis Ford Coppola property for less. For singles and couples, the hotel offers a $200 resort credit per room for stays of five nights or more and $100 resort credit for stays of three or four nights. This credit can be used for dining, spa services, tours or activities. For families, children under 12 eat for free and those aged 12-18 enjoy a 50% discount on all meals. Kempinski Hotel Haitang Bay Sanya is offering a 3-night "Culinary Retreat" package which includes a 3-night stay in Deluxe Garden View Room, Daily breakfasts buffet for 2 persons, One Dinner at Cafe K restaurant to the value of 400 RMB per 2 persons, Rendezvous Lobby High Tea and Coffee Set for 2 persons and Airport roundtrip transportation service. Click here for more great beach vacation ideas.
- Spa Trip in Vietnam from USD $209: If you are looking for last minute specials in the tropics, there is plenty to choose from. From room offers to free massages and dinners, these packages let you enjoy more perks for less. Anantara Mui Ne, a tropical resort in Vietnam, is offering several great packages. The "Touch of Thai Massage" includes accommodation with breakfast, late 2pm check-out, couples Thai massage lesson and a clothing gift from USD $209. The "Short Breaks Special", offered for stays of 2 nights or longer, includes daily breakfast, 20% discount on dining and spa throughout stay, as well as complimentary room upgrade. Escape to the beautiful Maldives and take gourmet cooking classes at Anantara Naladhu Maldives. The "Naladhu Culinary Journey" package includes a 4-night stay, cooking class, breakfast and airport transfers. The Ultimate Diving Package at Soneva Fushi includes breakfast, transfers, diving and a private snorkeling trip. Villa rates start from USD $1,160 per night (a 4-night minimum is required).
- Family Affair in Hong Kong from HKD 3,075 per night: Stay in a stylish hotel for less with one of these great last minute offers. Whether you are traveling by yourself, with your partner or the whole family, there is a package for everyone. Stay at the luxury Mandarin Oriental Hong Kong for less with the "Luxury Breaks" special. With rates from 3,300 HKD, this package gives you a daily credit from HKD 500 to HKD 1,000. Another great luxury last minute special to try at the hotel is the "Suite Temptations" which includes suite accommodations, an extra night, a spa credit and breakfast (from HKD 7,800). The "Family Affair" includes a Buffet breakfast in Clipper Lounge for two persons, Welcome Mandarin Oriental handmade chocolates and cookies, a range of treats for the children and late check-out until 4pm. A minimum two-night stay is required (rates from HKD 3,075 per night). Ask for the "Summer Family Fun" at the Excelsior (from HKD 1,788) which includes Ocean Park tickets, food credit of HKD 100 per room per stay and amenities for kids under 12. Get every third night free at The Langham. Or ask for the "Executive Business Package" at which includes free breakfast and laundry.
- Gone with the Wind in Scotland from GBP 119.50: Pack your bags and fly out to Scotland for a last minute weekend getaway filled with beautiful country views, massages at the spa and scenic golf. St Andrews Bay Resort is offering a weekend special called "A Million Miles from Monday" for £144.50 per person per night. The package can only be booked up to 7 days in advance and includes Overnight accommodation in a Fairmont Guest Room, Full Scottish Breakfast in The Squire, Dinner for two in either The Clubhouse or The Squire, Spa treatment or round of Golf. For just £119.50 per person per night, "Gone with the Wind" is an affordable special which gives you: Overnight accommodation in a Fairmont Guest Room, Full Scottish Breakfast in The Squire Afternoon tea in the Atrium Guide to the Fife Coastal path and a 3 Course Dinner in The Squire or The Clubhouse. The "All You Need Is Love" lets you celebrate a special occasion with style. From £119.50 per person per night, it includes Accommodation in a Fairmont Guest Room, A complimentary bottle of champagne, Bath butler and A full Scottish breakfast in The Squire Restaurant.
- Firmdale Hotels: West End Theater Offer from GBP 450: Get away to London, England with these spa, family and theater offers at the Firmdale hotels. London is a fun city to explore with kids and the family special at the Charlotte Street Hotel is a great way to enjoy the fabulous city for less. Ask for the "Family Time" which includes two luxurious King Rooms for £675 or a One Bedroom Suite with a complimentary Deluxe room for £890. It also includes complimentary extra beds, English breakfast, cookies and milk and arrival gifts for the children. The "West End Theater" offer at The Covent Garden Hotel lets you plan a last minute getaway to London with the following special perks: Champagne, Breakfast, Dinner and Welcome Gift. Room rates vary depending on the room category starting at £450. Combine great shopping, sightseeing and theater with some pampering at the spa with the "Relax & Rejuvenate" special at the Covent Garden Hotel. It includes a 30 minute Massage, Champagne, Breakfast, Spa Gift and Late checkout at 1pm so that you can relax on your trip.