If you’re visiting the northeastern part of the United States and looking to spend some time down on the coast, there are many different beaches for you to enjoy. Read on to learn about the top beach locations in the northeast, as well as details on the amenities, features, and unique advantages of each beach.
1. Long Beach - Long Island
Located out on Long Island, Long Beach is so named due to the fact it runs for no less than three miles in total, stretching out along the southern shore of the island.
It's a prime spot for New Yorkers, with lots of crowds gathering here on sunny, summer days. In the middle of the week, however, Long Beach can be almost entirely empty.
So, no matter whether you're looking for a cozy, intimate setting to spend some quiet time with your loved ones or more of a lively vibe, you can enjoy it at this northeastern beach.
You'll find play areas, restrooms, stores, and concessions in the Ocean Beach Park area.
2. Beaches Near Me: Boothbay Harbor - Maine
Step out onto the golden sands of Boothbay Harbor in Maine and you'll feel like a million miles away from the smoke and grime of the city streets.
A wonderful place to kick back and relax, this little coastal New England town has a few different beaches to enjoy, all offering wonderful views and soothing experiences.
Lots of great private rental accommodation and hotels can be found in the local area to extend your stay and the waters are always filled with boats of various shapes and sizes, so it can be lovely and even romantic to simply sit or stroll along this northeast beach and watch the world go by.
3. Beaches in the Northeast: Madison - Connecticut
Not far from New Haven and quite easily accessible from local major cities like New York and Boston, Madison is one of Connecticut's truly precious gems.
This little coastal town has some of the very best stretches of sand in the entire state. It looks out over the Long Island Sound, with lovely views in every single direction and a lot of nice amenities and high quality restaurants nearby.
For now, tourists haven't really heard of this place, so the vibe is quite laid-back and quiet on Madison's beaches most of the time, but we can expect word to start spreading about this little treasure in the not so distant future.
4. Northeast Beaches: Coopers Beach - Long Island
Consistently ranked as one of the best beaches not just in the Northeast, but in all of the United States of America, Coopers Beach is located on Long Island and features some really silky smooth sands and a lot of fun activities.
Live entertainment, including outdoor concerts, can be enjoyed at this beach on a regular basis, and the area is decorated with some incredible upscale residences belonging to the rich and famous.
The views are breathtaking, the dunes are a lot of fun to climb, the waters are just right for all kinds of activities, and the local area is replete with useful amenities and good eateries. In short, this Hamptons beach is one of the very best.
You are reading "16 Best Beaches in the Northeast" near me today?
5. Beaches in the Northeast: Block Island - Rhode Island
© SE Viera Photo/stock.adobe.com
For a New England beach like no other, take the short ferry trip over to the picturesque Block Island.
Stretching out to cover around 7,000 acres of land, this gorgeous island is home to some of New England's most wonderful and magical beaches.
Only a thousand people live here permanently, so if you come at a non-busy time of year, you'll feel like you basically have the place to yourself, but if you visit in the summer alongside the thousands of other tourists, you'll see Block Island in a whole new light, with a lively vibe and a lot of parties and activities going on at all times.
Stick to the southern shore if you want easy access to local stores, eateries, and other amenities.
6. Misquamicut State Beach, Rhode Island
© Marianne Campolongo/stock.adobe.com
Misquamicut Beach comprises miles and miles of beautiful beaches which offers a near-perfect vacation destination with activities to suit all ages.
The beach is made up of 4 areas, of which Misquamicut State Beach is one of the most popular. The beach is about half a mile long and features many useful amenities to enhance your visit. There are outdoor showers, shade gazebos and concessions selling food and gifts.
There is also a playground for children and beach wheelchairs are available. The beach offers great swimming and boogie boarding and there is a kayak launch close by.
Misquamicut State Beach, 257 Atlantic Avenue, Westerly, RI 02891
7. Wingaersheek Beach, Massachusetts
© Wangkun Jia/stock.adobe.com
Located at the end of Gloucester Street, off Route 133, this beautiful beach with its tongue-twister name, is a popular attraction for beach lovers, known for its soft sand and crystal clear waters.
One of the best features of the beach is a long stretch of sandbar which appears at low tide, enabling visitors to walk out for hundreds of yards.
The beach offers good amenities including a concession where you can buy food, drinks, and other beach necessities. However, no inflatable beach toys are allowed in the water while the lifeguards are on duty. There are restrooms and showers as well as a parking area.
Wingaersheek Beach, 232 Atlantic Street, Gloucester, MA 01930
8. Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Maine is lucky to boast many wonderful beaches within about an hour drive north of Boston. One of these unforgettable beaches in Old Orchard Beach.
The Old Orchard Beach community genuinely welcomes visitors and has been doing so for around 170 years.
The beach stretches for 7 wonderful miles offering a plethora of fun activities for all ages including surf kayaking and jet skiing.
Some come to just relax and soak up some sun while others are here for the restaurants and stores on the pier or to play beach games.
The beach is good for swimming and sun bathing and there is a lovely boardwalk where you can buy cotton candy and other holiday treats.
Old Orchard Beach, 2 Old Orchard Street, ME 04064
9. Weirs Beach, New Hampshire
Weirs Beach is the most popular beach in the Lakes Region, perfectly positioned on the northern corner of Laconia, on Lake Winnipesaukee.
More than just a beach, Weirs Beach is a local meeting place where everyone gets together to enjoy a variety of outdoor recreational activities.
The beach is just less than 700 feet long and 260 feet wide and the shallow waters are perfect for younger children to wade and play water games.
If you would like to get out on the water you can take a scenic cruise or rent a boat or kayak at the Winnipesaukee Pier. The boardwalk is also home to many entertainment outlets and restaurants.
Weirs Beach, 1 -239 Lakeside Avenue, Laconia, NH 03246
You are reading "16 Best Beaches in the Northeast", cheap and closest to me now
10. Coney Island Beach, New York
Offering everyone the perfect antidote to the hustle and bustle of New York City, Coney Island Beach attracts visitors all year round.
In summer everyone comes to escape the heat of the city and to take advantage of nearly 3 miles of sandy beach for sunbathing and swimming.
There are also outfitters where you can rent kayaks or jet skis. Along the boardwalk you will find amusement park rides and a large playground.
In the cooler months the iconic Coney Island Boardwalk is packed with visitors enjoying fun attractions like the New York Aquarium, the Abe Stark Ice Skating Rink and the Maimonedes Park Baseball Stadium.
Coney Island Beach, Corbin Place to W. 37 Street, Boardwalk, Brooklyn, New York 11224
11. Best Beaches in the Northeast: Kennebunk Beach, Maine
© Al Petronis/stock.adobe.com
Kennebunk Beach is actually a long sandy coastal strip which is made up of 3 separate beaches namely Mother’s Beach, Middle Beach and Gooch Beach.
Mother’s Beach is a very family-friendly stretch of soft white sand which is perfect for children and their parents), offering great tide pooling at low tide; the small waves and shallow waters are great for wading.
Although there are no lifeguards on duty at this beach, it remains very popular with families. Middle beach has great shiny rocks to explore and Gooch Beach is popular with surfers, sun-bathers and walkers. You are allowed to walk your dog early in the morning or in the evening.
Kennebunk Beach, Kennebunkport, ME 04046
12. Race Point Beach, Massachusetts
Located in Provincetown, Lake Point Beach has been named as one of the 5 best beaches in New England. Of course, locals have known for years that they have a true gem on their doorstep.
The beach comprises a long strip of soft white sand at the very tip of Cape Cod and is named for the strong cross currents. Walkers have access to miles of soft sand and outstanding views in all directions.
Bathers and sun-bathers have access to facilities like showers and restrooms and hikers can set off on a dune tour to explore the historic Race Point Lighthouse.
In spring you have a good chance of spotting some Atlantic and Humpback Whales.
Race Point Beach, Provincetown, MA 02657
13. Easton's Beach, Rhode Island
© Joe Trentacosti/stock.adobe.com
Conveniently located just minutes from Downtown Newport, Easton’s Beach is a firm favorite in Newport, Rhode Island.
You will find this broad, 3/4 mile beach at the north end of Cliff Walk, where it is locally referred to as First Beach.
The rolling Atlantic waves make this beach great for surfing and it is equally popular with sun bathers, castle-builders, picnickers and swimmers (lifeguards are on duty during the summer months).
There is a snack bar on the beach as well as clean restrooms and showers. During the off-season you are welcome to bring your dog to the beach for a run.
Easton’s Beach, 175 Memorial Blvd, Newport, RI 02840, 401 745 5810
14. Singing Beach, Massachusetts
© Chee-Onn Leong/stock.adobe.com
A half-mile stretch of sandy shoreline welcomes locals and visitors to Massachusetts’ Singing Beach.
The fascinating name of this beach is derived from the fact that the sands seem to make a squeaking sound as you walk on them – this phenomenon is due to the specific size, shape and contours of the sand granules when it is slightly damp.
To find out for yourself if the sands really do sing you need to spend a day or two exploring this pretty beach which boasts an old-fashioned bath house, restrooms and snack bar which was built in the 1920’s.
There is a designated swimming area and lifeguards are on duty in season.
Singing Beach, 119 Beach Street, Manchester-by-the-Sea, MA 01944
15. Ogunquit Beach, Maine
© Mircea Costina/stock.adobe.com
Set on the edge of a barrier island, Ogunquit Beach in Maine offers sun-seekers a near-perfect vacation destination where you can enjoy a wide range of coastal activities.
In fact, this beautiful beach has been voted as one of the best 25 beaches in the US.
There is a long stretch of powder-white sand (3.5 miles) where you can soak up some sun, relax, swim and enjoy the sounds of the crashing waves.
If you would like to be more active you can join a deep-sea fishing charter, do some sea kayaking, play a round of golf or go hiking.
There are a wide variety of accommodation options is Ogunquit including resorts, hotels, B&B’s and vacation rentals.
Ogunquit Beach, 124 Beach Street, Ogunquit, ME 03907
16. More Info About Northeast Beaches
When life is getting you down or you just want to spend a little time in a beautiful place and have some fun, there’s nowhere better than the beach. Beaches can be found in all shapes and sizes, from mile-long stretches of sandy shoreline with calm, gentle waters perfect for paddling to rocky spots with rough waves for surfers and water sports enthusiasts to enjoy.
The United States is home to some of the finest beaches in the world. Down in Florida and along the Gulf Coast, for example, many white, sandy beaches and excellent seafront attractions can be found in locations like Clearwater or Biloxi.
Or over on the Pacific Coast in places like Los Angeles and Santa Cruz, even more beautiful beaches can be enjoyed with world class surfing and water sports.
However, the best beaches of the United States aren’t merely found in these famous locations. Some wonderful beaches can be found in the northeastern region of the United States too, especially in the New England and Long Island areas.
Whether you’re looking for a stretch of sand for sunbathing and swimming or a historic coastal town with beautiful views, the Northeast has some excellent beaches just waiting to be discovered.
The 16 Best Beaches in the Northeast near me today according to local experts:
- 1. Long Beach - Long Island
- 2. Beaches Near Me: Boothbay Harbor - Maine
- 3. Beaches in the Northeast: Madison - Connecticut
- 4. Northeast Beaches: Coopers Beach - Long Island
- 5. Beaches in the Northeast: Block Island - Rhode Island
- 6. Misquamicut State Beach, Rhode Island
- 7. Wingaersheek Beach, Massachusetts
- 8. Old Orchard Beach, Maine
- 9. Weirs Beach, New Hampshire
- 10. Coney Island Beach, New York
- 11. Best Beaches in the Northeast: Kennebunk Beach, Maine
- 12. Race Point Beach, Massachusetts
- 13. Easton's Beach, Rhode Island
- 14. Singing Beach, Massachusetts
- 15. Ogunquit Beach, Maine
- 16. More Info About Northeast Beaches
More Ideas: Linekin Bay Resort
With its coastal villages, historic lighthouses, charming scenery, and fascinating past, New England is a beautiful place to visit at any time of year. Whether you're heading on a family vacation, a romantic retreat with a loved one, or simply looking for a fun time with friends, there are plenty of world class resorts in Maine and the other states that make up the New England region. One of the best family resorts in Maine is undoubtedly Linekin Bay Resort.
Linekin Bay Resort - Family Resort in Maine
Located in the little coastal town of Boothbay Harbor in Lincoln County, Linekin Bay Resort stands out as one of the finest family resorts in all of Maine. Offering comfortable and classy accommodation, excellent amenities, great dining, fun activities, and more, Linekin Bay Resort gives guests all they need for a magical experience.
- Location - Linekin Bay Resort is situated in Boothbay Harbor, one of the best yachting and tourist destinations in Maine. Only a couple of thousand permanent residents called Boothbay Harbor home, but many, many more flock to the area each year to savor its breathtaking beauty, shimmering waters, beautiful natural areas and landmarks like Lobster Cove Preserve and Pemaquid Point Lighthouse Park, and its many hiking trails and nature walks too. Ranked as the best boating destination in the world, it’s a super spot for guests of all enjoys to enjoy, and Linekin Bay Resort is one of the top coastal resorts in Maine, situated right on the water's edge.
- Full-Service Summer Trips - During the summer months, guests at Linekin Bay Resort can enjoy all-inclusive stays at this amazing Maine family resort. For just one rate, you and your fellow guests will get full access to comfortable lodging, delicious meals, regular housekeeping services, boating lessons, full access to the water, a kids camp for little ones, and access to all the other amenities of the resort, including laundry machines, vending machines, sports courts, a swimming pool, and more. Those who visit outside of the summer months can enjoy a quieter and calmer vibe at the Linekin Bay Resort and enjoy bed-and-breakfast style accommodation for their spring or fall Maine vacation.
- Dining at Linekin Bay Resort - Of course, no Maine resort can be complete without some super dining options, and guests at Linekin Bay Resort will have the choice between dining in the Main Lodge throughout the day or visiting The Deck Bar and Grill. Delicious breakfasts, lunches, and dinners are served in the Main Lodge, making use of local and seasonal ingredients and classic Maine recipes to really offer an authentic dining experience. Over in The Deck Bar and Grill, you'll find more amazing Maine seafood and traditional dishes, with lots of healthy options and coastal classics like oysters, shrimp linguine, lobster rolls, fish tacos, and more.
- Luxury Lodging in Maine - This popular Maine family resort offers luxury lodging for all guests in the form of 20 cabins and four large lodges. The various accommodation options are dotted around 20 acre resort, offering a nice degree of privacy and intimacy for all guests. Easily one of the best places to stay in Boothbay Harbor, Linekin Bay Resort ensures that every cabin and lodge is furnished and decorated to an excellent standard, honoring the culture and charms of New England while also providing modern conveniences and luxuries. You'll find original features like stone fireplaces in some of the lodges, while the cabins enjoy kitchenettes, cozy beds, private bathrooms, and quaint decking areas to sit outside and admire the views.
- Features and Amenities - Linekin Bay Resort aims to be the best resort in the whole of Maine, so offers a great range of useful amenities and features in order to satisfy every single guest. You'll find Wi-Fi access easy to obtain all around the resort, and there are plenty of useful amenities dotted around like the aforementioned laundry and vending machines. There's a large play field for fun and games, as well as a volleyball court and a saltwater swimming pool. The resort also has its own spacious welcome center and gift shop, as well as docks with private access onto the water. Kayaks and watersport equipment can be rented straight from the resort too for all kinds of water activities. Not only that, but this is a pet-friendly Maine resort too, so you can bring a furry friend along.
- Weddings - Preparing for a wedding and want to make the day as magical and exciting as possible? Why not consider hosting your special event at Linekin Bay Resort? This family friendly Maine resort has successfully hosted several magical weddings in the past and has proven to be one of the prettiest wedding venues in New England. With various lodges and cabins available, there's plenty of room for all your guests, and the resort offers full catering and planning services, as well as water access and a long list of amenities, with both indoor and outdoor spaces to celebrate.
If you’re looking for a world class family resort in Maine, look no further than Linekin Bay Resort. Perfect for getaways at any time of year, Linekin Bay sets the standard for New England resorts, offering superb accommodation, fine dining, impeccable amenities, and so much more. Visit the official Linkein Bay Resort for more information and to learn about promotional deals and offers for your Maine vacation.