The short answer is yes. You will need to show your passport as you go about traveling to Canada and when you come back to the United States. But when exactly Americans will need a passport to enter Canada will depend on their means of travel. If you’ve traveled to Canada before 2004, then you probably remember that you didn’t need as much documentation.

More ideas: Best Weekend Getaways, Best Day Trips

This was mainly due to the friendly border crossing agreement between the United States and Canada. This meant that the Canada Border Services did not require Americans to show a passport to cross the border.

But now, these stricter requirements came along in pursuit of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative by the U.S. government. This new policy is part of an attempt to strengthen border security as well as standardize the documentation needed to travel. This means that while you don’t have to show a passport when crossing into Canada, you will need to show yours when you come back home. For obvious reasons, Canada does not allow anyone to cross their borders if they don’t have the proper documents to be able to return.

As of 2008, those who wish to enter Canada, whether by air, land, or sea, have been required to have a passport or equivalent document, subject to certain exceptions like in the case of children. There are also certain substitutes like the NEXUS Card, but these are issued to a limited category of applicants. So, if you want to go to Canada, chances are you’re going to need a passport.

Some organizations offer to expedite your application process for a fee. This allows you to get your documents as fast as 24 hours. Keep in mind that the backlog in U.S. passport applications is already long, so you should apply for one as soon as you can.

The safest way to ensure entry to Canada is to get a U.S. passport, but you might be able to get in via other alternative documents, depending on your circumstances.

- NEXUS Cards are special ID cards that work as substitute for a passport. It’s the result of a partnership between the U.S. and Canada regarding pre-approved travelers by land, air, or sea. In addition, cardholders will have access to special lanes located at border crossings and airports. Applications can be filed through either of the U.S. or Canadian Border Services. Either way, the applicant will be interviewed and have their fingerprints scanned. The NEXUS Cards are ideal for those who travel between borders often.

- The U.S. Passport Card is another substitute for a U.S. passport, but it’s only accepted for land and sea travel. If you’re planning to go to Canada by air, you can’t use this.

- An Enhanced Driver’s License or EDL functions as proof of both your identity and citizenship and can be used to enter Canada by land or sea (again, not valid for air travel). But, as of now, this is only available in certain states such as New York, Vermont, and Washington.

- FAST/Express Cards are special permits for commercial truck drivers who need to travel between borders.

In the case of minors, they either need to show their own U.S. passport or provide proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate. Those who need to show the latter are:

- Children 15 years old or younger who will be travelling by land or sea.

- Those who are above 16 years old but below 18 and travelling as a group for school, religious, cultural, and similar purposes.

In the above cases, the best document to show is the birth certificate. For all others, such as children flying to Canada, will need a passport or its equivalent. Worthy of note is the fact that adults who are applying for a NEXUS Card can also apply for their children at no extra cost.

If you are an adult who is not the child’s parent or legal guardian, you must carry with you written permission from them. Divorced parents need to bring custody papers. Keep in mind that these documents are NOT a substitute for the passport requirements. Rather, they are needed for children on top of all the travel documents necessary for adults.

Tips for crossing the border smoothly:

Bring the required documentation isn’t the same as actually crossing the border. Once you’re there, you might want to remember the following so that you don’t experience any inconvenience.

Know what travel document or proof you have to share and where.

Quickly address the border officer. This means passing passports and other identification to the driver before reaching the service booth of the border. Make sure to take off your sunglasses or headgear. Turn off your mobile phones and radios as well. Waiting to comply with these requirements only when you’re already at the booth will only delay your entry as well as that of others following you.

Keep necessary documents where you can find them. Make sure you know where you can find your child companion’s documents (i.e. parental consent, etc.). Meanwhile, you should keep your car registration papers in your car. A smooth crossing is all about being able to help the guys over at border control process your entry as soon as possible.

Be aware of what you can’t bring to Canada. Getting caught with anything you’re not supposed to bring (intentionally or otherwise) will really cause a lot of complications.

In any case, proper preparation is key to a smooth transition past the Canadian border.