The name Ringling is synonymous with the “Greatest Show on Earth”. The name conjures up images of a caravan of trucks and trailers carrying exotic animals and unique individuals. Every kid in town wanted a ticket to that show. The lights, the animals, the daring feats and sometimes freakish side shows had a special allure. Every store in town had a large colorful poster advertising the event. The kids saved their money to buy tickets and if lucky, some popcorn. It is this same name that was the founder and builder of the Museum of Art. John and Mable Ringling had a love for art.
After purchasing prime property in Sarasota, Florida, the couple built an unbelievable, magnificent mansion named Ca' d'Zan, meaning House of John. This mansion was five stories tall and had over 40 rooms. The Ringling's traveled the world looking for circus acts and also purchased works of art that were eventually displayed in the Ringling's 21 gallery museum.
1.The Ringling History
3.The Promenade and Millennium Tree Trail
4.Plan Your Trip
Things to Do in Sarasota, Florida: The Ringling
- The Ringling History, Photo: Courtesy of Steve Carroll - Fotolia.com
- Bayfront Gardens, Photo: Courtesy of saranb - Fotolia.com
- The Promenade and Millennium Tree Trail, Photo: Courtesy of Maria - Fotolia.com
- Plan Your Trip, Photo: Courtesy of mariakraynova - Fotolia.com
- Cover Photo: Courtesy of mariakraynova - Fotolia.com