Blue is a chef-owned and operated seafood restaurant in Virginia Beach that offers high quality and fresh seafood in a casual setting. This 60-seat restaurant's specialties include crab cakes, tempura fried shrimp, and creative seafood fares based on its “Buy Fresh, Buy Local” food philosophy. Chef and owner Charles Thain is an ardent supporter of farm-to-table practices and sources fresh local produce, seafood, hormone-free meats, and more from local purveyors. It is one of the priorities for the restaurant to offer brews from local breweries to showcase everything the area has to offer.
Blue accommodates special dietary needs and food allergies in its menus to suit everyone’s palate. The menu features a full bar menu along with a wide range of dishes that include gluten-free and vegetarian options. True to its name, the restaurant’s whitewashed walls are adorned with cobalt blue accents. The diner's charming and comfortable ambiance is accentuated with television screens that show soothing ocean scenes. The restaurant does not accept reservations as guests are seated on a first-come first-served basis.
Chef Charles Thain
Chef Charles Thain started Blue Seafood & Spirits in October 2013 after Thain and his family moved to Virginia Beach. Chef Charles is a culinary graduate from Johnson and Wales University with over 30 years of kitchen experience. During his working years at Ocracoke Island, North Carolina, and Wachapreague on Virginia’s Eastern Shore, Chef Charles earned a reputation for his expertise in handling and preparing fresh seafood. His seafood expertise eventually became an ardent passion that lead to the inaugural opening of Blue Seafood.
Hours of Operation
Blue Seafood & Spirits operates 5 days a week, Tuesday through Saturday from 4:00pm to 9:30pm and remains closed on Sundays and Mondays every week.
· Lighter Fare - Broiled lump crab cake, buttermilk and herb marinated calamari rings, crispy fried Eastern Shore oysters, tempura fried asparagus, spicy shrimp and cucumber cocktail, and crab soup.
· Salads - Great Caesar salad, house blue salad, oyster Caesar salad, lump crab cake salad, blackened salmon salad, and side salad served with your choice of homemade dressing.
· Entrees - Signature lump crab cakes, tempura fried shrimp, fried eastern shore oysters, Eastern Shore dinner, seaside scallops, twisted salmon Oscar, seafood Belle Haven, fried seafood combination, broiled seafood medley, bistro chicken, steak Diane, pork chop porterhouse, and The Fisherman’s Catch served grilled, blackened, broiled, or fried. Entrees are served with fresh veggies, a choice of chef’s side, and homemade sweet potato biscuits. Guests also get to add a side garden or Caesar salad to any entree.
· Kid's Menu - Crispy chicken fingers, grilled chicken breast, Gulf shrimp, fresh fish, and crab cake.
· Drinks - The menu consists of a wide selection of wine, local beers, and signature cocktails.
Blue's gift cards are available in any denomination and make a perfect gift for all occasions. Gift cards can be purchased online or by calling the restaurant.
Back to: Things to Do in Virginia Beach
Blue Seafood & Spirits, 2181 Upton Dr #420, Virginia Beach, Virginia 23454, website, Phone: 757-689-5395