Located in Memphis, Tennessee, the Memphis Brooks Museum of Art is the oldest art museum in Tennessee. The origins of the museum date back to 1913, when Mrs. Bessie Vance Brooks donated $100,000 to the City of Memphis in memory of her late husband Mr. Samuel Hamilton Brooks. The museum opened in 1916 and was originally named the Brooks Memorial Art Gallery. After several expansions and renovations over the decades, in 1983 it was renamed the Memphis Brooks Museum of Art. The building itself was designed in a Renaissance Revival architectural style and, due to its historic significance, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Spanning 342 square feet, Brooks is the largest museum in the southern United States. The building holds a research library, a print study room, two art classrooms, an auditorium, the Brushmark Restaurant, the Holly Court garden and 29 galleries in its Overton Park residence.
The museum contains close to 9,000 pieces of artwork with works of particular significance noted as the Levy Collection of American Prints, the Goodman Book Collection, and the Hugo N. Dixon Collection of Impressionist paintings. Memphis Brooks Museum of Art
»Ongoing Programs and Education
Memphis Brooks Museum of Art in Memphis, Tennessee
- Permanent Collection, Photo: Memphis Brooks Museum of Art
- Ongoing Programs and Education, Photo: Memphis Brooks Museum of Art
- Cover Photo: Memphis Brooks Museum of Art