Spreading out across more than 133 square miles of land, the United States Virgin Islands, also known as the American Virgin Islands, offer a lot of wonderful vacation opportunities. Situated among the Leeward Islands of the Lesser Antilles, the islands are home to a little over 100,000 people but attract many more each and every year. If you're planning a trip to the United States Virgin Islands, you'll have a choice between Saint Croix, Saint John, or Saint Thomas. Only Saint Thomas and Saint Croix have their own international airports, and Saint Thomas is one of the most popular islands to visit. CDC information for travelers. Hours/availability may have changed.
1.St Thomas Airport Code
2.History of St Thomas Airport Code STT
3.Statistics for St Thomas Airport Code STT
4.Hotels at St Thomas Airport Code STT
St Thomas Airport Code
- St Thomas Airport Code, Photo: LaDonna/stock.adobe.com
- History of St Thomas Airport Code STT, Photo: Ramunas
- Statistics for St Thomas Airport Code STT, Photo: VladFlorin
- Hotels at St Thomas Airport Code STT, Photo: Kittiphan
- Cover Photo: dbvirago/stock.adobe.com
More Ideas: Plantation Crown and Hawk Botanical Garden
Located in Charlotte Amalie, St Thomas in the United States Virgin Islands, the Plantation Crown and Hawk Botanical Garden is a hillside public garden atop Crown Mountain, offering a variety of walking paths through tropical flower plantings, waterfalls, and other natural amenities.
The earliest-known inhabitants of Saint Thomas Island were the Ciboney indigenous people, who settled the area sometime around 1,500 B.C. and were later followed by the Carib and Arawak tribes. During Christopher Columbus second voyage to the Americas in 1493, the explorer noted sighting the island, but it was not formally settled by Europeans until 1657, when the Dutch West India Company established a post on its mainland. The island went through periods of Danish and Norwegian colonial rule in the 17th and 18th centuries, with Danish settlers establishing the city of Charlotte Amalie in 1691, named in honor of the wife of Denmark King Christian V. British occupation of the island began in the early 19th century, during which time the island began experiencing economic decline due to the decline of the sugar crop industry as its primary means of trade and income. Though the United States began looking to acquire the island as early as during the American Civil War, the island was not purchased until 1917, when the United States Virgin Islands were established as American territories as a strategic move during World War I. Following the First and Second World Wars, tourism began to rise as the major industry on the island, with annual visitorship increasing greatly due to the advent of cheap mass air travel.
The history of botanical gardens on Saint Thomas dates back to the 19th century and the island’s Danish inhabitation, when a former sugarcane plantation and estate near Charlotte Amalie was converted into a botanical garden facility by the Agricultural Society of Denmark. The facility passed ownership hands several times throughout the 20th century, eventually being opened to the public in 2015 as a commercial tourist attraction named Plantation Crown and Hawk Botanical Garden. As the island’s first official historical botanical garden, the garden preserves a 5 ½-acre former sugarcane plantation estate, including one of two extant cockpit sugar mills remaining on the island.
Permanent Attractions and Exhibits
Today, the Plantation Crown and Hawk Botanical Garden is open as a public botanical garden facility, offering 5 ½ acres of visitor paths, tropical flower plantings, and natural attractions such as waterfalls. The garden facility is located atop the island’s Crown Mountain, the highest peak across any of the United States Virgin Islands. The facility provides spectacular views of the nearby Charlotte Amalie area, which is one of the busiest port cities in the Caribbean, docking more than 1.5 million annual cruise ship visitors and serving hundreds of ferries and yachts weekly in its harbor area. A number of historic tourist attractions are offered throughout the city, including a large number of preserved examples of Danish colonial architecture and a wide variety of rum distilleries and jewelry and arts crafters.
Visitor paths throughout the 5 ½-acre facility offer a variety of leisure and exploration opportunities, meandering through natural landmarks such as waterfalls with a drop of up to 125 feet. Natural flora and fauna are on display throughout the garden, including native plants of the Virgin Islands and local wildlife such as peacocks, turtles, and tropical fish. Major plantings include bromeliads, heliconias, cacti, bamboo, and palm trees, with all plants identified with signs and species information. A series of terraces provide spectacular views of the nearby Caribbean Sea and Atlantic Ocean at their peak, while a number of outdoor gazebo areas offer quiet relaxation in a natural setting. A Plant Maze allows visitors to explore native flora while working strategically to successfully complete a path, while a Red-Footed Turtle Habitat provides a safe space for wildlife.
A gift shop on site offers local souvenirs and apparel, including clothing, garden decorations, and Caribbean rum balls homemade with local island rum. Locally-themed food and beverages are also available at the garden’s main pavilion for purchase and may be eaten throughout the park. The facility’s Villa Botanica estate is also available for special event rental, including private wedding and reception rentals. A variety of wedding rental packages are available, offering onsite catering, reception amenities, and use of the site’s historic structures. Dining options for receptions and rehearsal dinners are also offered at the facility’s onsite restaurant venue, which can accommodate up to 200 guests indoors. Larger rental groups may also be accommodated with gala stations set up throughout the property’s outdoor facilities.
2-A Estate Crown and Hawk, St. Thomas, USVI 00802, U.S. Virgin Islands, Phone: 340-776-0041
You are reading "St Thomas Airport Code " Back to Top
More Ideas: Buck Island Reef National Monument
Located approximately 1.5 miles off the northeast coast of Saint Croix in the United States Virgin Islands, Buck Island Reef National Monument is a 176-acre island preserved as an underwater trail and wildlife refuge area, available for exploration via private guided tours and boating permits.
The Buck Island area has been explored by humans for more than 2,000 years, with the region seeing widespread use as a fishing area by local indigenous tribes by 400 A.D. Archaeological excavations around the island have uncovered artifacts such as pottery and campfire sites related to fishing and gathering excursions. The island has been referred to by many names historically, including Cabrito Island, Gedeøen Frederiksgave, Pockholz, and Isle Verte, though by the 18th century, the name of Buck Island had begun to be established as its formal modern name. Though a number of French plantations were established on Saint Croix’s mainland in the 1650s, habitation of Buck Island was not documented until 1754. In 1789, the island was used as a Danish signal station for nearby Fort Christiansvaern, and in the 1840s, Saint Croix’s Burgher Council dictated that the island be used as a residence for African Obeah practitioners. Throughout the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the island was used for farming, goat grazing, and charcoal harvesting.
In 1926, the Saint Croix Colonial Council proposed a bill to protect Buck Island as a game preserve, but the proposal fell through as a result of the island’s mongoose infestation. The island fell under the supervision of the United States Federal Government in 1936 as part of the Virgin Islands Organic Act, and in 1948, the island and its surrounding reefs were protected as a territorial park. Supervision of the island was transferred to the National Park Service in 1961, and later that year, the area was established as Buck Island National Reef Monument. In 2001, the monument’s size was expanded by more than 18,000 acres.
Today, Buck Island Reef National Monument is preserved as a natural wildlife refuge area for use as a scientific and educational facility for conservation and private exploration. The monument’s area totals 19,105 acres, preserving the island’s lands and surrounding coastal reef areas. More than 50,000 visitors explore the island annually through private tour excursions and boating permits, which must be obtained through granted permission by the National Park Service.
The monument’s mainland preserves a 176-acre tropical dry forest and the white sand Turtle Beach, which has been voted as one of the most beautiful beaches in the world by National Geographic magazine. The island’s ecosystem, which has been dramatically altered over the past 6,000 years due to the arrival of humans, serves as a wildlife refuge today for a number of endangered and threatened species. Populations of three species of sea turtle, the endangered leatherback and hawksbill turtles and the threatened green turtles, are protected as part of the monument. Other native animals include the Saint Croix anole, the cotton ginner dwarf gecko, and more than 210 species of migratory and permanent species birds. More than 228 species of plants are also found on the island, including 180 native varieties of trees, shrubs, and grasses.
More than 18,000 acres of submerged lands are preserved as part of an underwater snorkeling trail network, one of only three of its kind in the United States. Plaques along the trail offer information about the marine flora and fauna of the area’s elkhorn coral barrier reef, which provides a habitat for more than 250 fish species, as well as lemon, nurse, blacktip, and whitetip sharks and spotted eagle rays. Elkhorn coral patch reefs surround more than two-thirds of the island’s shores, rising more than 40 feet underwater to nearly reach the water’s surface.
A variety of outdoor activities are available for visitors at the monument, including swimming, scuba diving, and snorkeling opportunities. Guided snorkeling lessons for beginners and children are offered, along with guided expeditions of the park’s underwater trail. Boating excursions are offered by a variety of touring companies, and private boat anchoring permits may be obtained by the National Park Service. Picnic areas are provided at the island’s West Beach and Diedrichs Point areas, which are connected by a marked hiking trail. Sunbathing and bird watching opportunities are also offered throughout the park. No visitor services are provided on the island itself, but the nearby Fort Christiansvaern at Christiansted National Historic Site offers information services on the monument and other area national park units.
The monument is open year-round from sunrise to sunset, with overnight anchorage available to boaters within designated areas on the island. As the monument is a protected wildlife area, fishing, collecting, and other disruptive practices are prohibited, and a pack-in-pack-out policy regarding littering is enforced. All visitors are advised to wear environmentally-friendly sunscreen and check current island weather conditions before visiting. A 2014 documentary about the island, titled “Caribbean Gem,” is also recommended as educational viewing before visiting.
2100 Church St. #100, Christiansted, St. Croix, VI 00820, Phone: 340-773-1460
You are reading "St Thomas Airport Code " Back to Top
More Ideas: French Heritage Museum
The French Heritage Museum is located in a small subsection of Charlotte Amalie, known as Frenchtown, on the island of St Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands. The museum educates guests on the history of French immigration to St. Thomas, their economic and cultural influence on the island, and the vibrant French community that lives there today.
The Museum’s collection occupies a small stone building painted bright yellow and displays over 400 French artifacts and heirlooms. Highlights of the collection include centuries old tools, fishing nets and meat hooks related to the island’s history of commerce in fishing and meat production. Straw baskets and hats made of tyre palms are an example of early native weaving on the island and are displayed alongside other West Indian crafts. An original pew from Frenchtown’s St. Anne’s Chapel and a mahogany four-post bed, raised to fit a chamber pot underneath, are examples of the island’s woodwork. Daily life is illuminated through a collection of kitchen tools, sewing machines and fish pots. A short film made by Universal Studios in 1939 offers an unintentionally humorous example of the condescending way in which mainland Americans referred to French residents as “funny little people” and the West Indian natives as “dark-skinned cowboys.” The film highlights the racism of the day and provides context for the impetus to preserve the island’s historic culture.
The building itself is an example of the historically common vernacular architecture of St. Thomas. Architecture on the island is historically influenced by both European and African cultures. The building, built in 1944, was originally a fire station. It was repurposed as a health clinic in the 1950’s and after that, a kindergarten. A small, two bedroom home was donated to the museum in 2007. The Greaux house originally sat next door to St. Anne’s Chapel, and was recently restored with assistance from the offspring of the home’s original occupants.
Locals or others in search of information related to their French genealogy can search a database at the museum that stores information on the family trees of local French descendants. The museum also maintains a collection of documents, several photographs and family portraits.
History: French settlers first arrived in the Caribbean islands in the 1600’s. France once lay claim to many of the Caribbean islands, including St. Barthelemy, from whom many of today’s French descendents on St. Thomas immigrated. Originally cotton farmers, the French split into two main groups on St. Thomas in search of new livelihoods when the cotton market took a downturn. A farming community took root on the north side of the island, while a fishing community took root in Carenage, just west of Charlotte Amalie. The area is now known as Frenchtown. Established in the mid 1800’s, the city is still known for its open air fish markets. Today, the Frenchtown community includes French-speaking immigrants from nearby Martinique and Haiti. It’s common to hear the western French dialect of Picard, spoken in a combination of French and English now known as Anglo-Norman French.
The French Heritage Museum opened to the public in 2004 to showcase the rich French history of the Virgin Islands. Many of the museum’s heirlooms and artifacts were donated by the local community. The museum is a non-profit organization run entirely by volunteers, most of whom are members of the French Civic Organization, a community fixture since 1958.
Ongoing Programs and Education: The museum offers volunteer-led tours daily. French Heritage Week celebrates Bastille Day each July with fishing tournaments, dinners and family friendly activities throughout Frenchtown and Charlotte Amalie's waterfront to the east. The week-long event celebrates French culture and the 1789 storming of the Bastille state prison in Paris that ultimately led to the establishment of the French Republic. The French Civic Organization has been sponsoring the event for over 50 years.
What’s Nearby: The museum is located next door to the Joseph Aubain Ballpark. Frenchtown is known for its restaurants, bars and fine dining. Visitors to the museum may also be interested in the Gustave Quetel Fish House, otherwise known as the Frenchtown Market, where fishermen gather each morning to sell their catch. St. Anne’s Catholic Church, dedicated in 1921, sits atop a hill in the middle of Frenchtown. Many of her oldest artifacts are housed today in the French Heritage Museum.
Intersection of Rue de Carenage and Rue de St. Barthelemy St. Thomas, VI 00803, Phone: 340-714-2583
You are reading "St Thomas Airport Code " Back to Top