Terry Peak Ski Area is located in South Dakota’s Black Hills. This ski resort offers family-friendly fun for all visitors. The Terry Peak Ski Area saw it’s beginning when the Bald Mountain Ski Club put in a rope tow on Stewart Slope in 1938. The area continued to develop over the years.
In the 1970s Terry Peak had started to make snow for the resort because the weather of the Black Hills was so unpredictable. Today, improvements in making snow have allowed sixty percent if the slope to be covered.
The Stewart Day Lodge replaced the K-2 Bar and ski school of the past in 1988. The Black Hills Chairlift Company gave its approval for a five-year plan for developments to the area in 1999. The Kussy Express was installed to replace the old Blue Chairlifts followed by the Surprise Express in 2002 that replaced he Yellow Chairlifts.
Before the 2004- 2005 season, the resort began its biggest land expansion in over twenty-five years. North Side Glades, Maringo, Ben Hur Glades, Lower Black Moon, and Missing Link were included in the new trails that were developed during the expansion that covered one hundred acres of land. This part of the resort is for intermediate and expert snowboarders and skiers.
Terry Peak Ski Are holds the title for South Dakota’s biggest ski area. The area boasts more than twenty-five trails, two high-speed lifts, a double lift, a triple lift, six hundred acres of land prime for skiing, and the snow carpet.
Thing to Do
The Terry Peak Ski Area offers fun for the whole family.
Trails- The Terry Peak Ski Area offers a variety of trails for beginners through advanced.
· Beginner Trails- Beginner trails include Steward Slope, Little Phil, Snowstorm, Gold Run, and Millsite
· Intermediate Trails- Intermediate trails include Welcome, Surprise, Black Moon, Missing Link, Kussy, Lower Kussy, Hobo Queen, Homestake, Terry Cut-across, and Empress
· Advanced Trails- Advanced trails include The Falls, Old Falls, North Slide Glades, Avalanche Glades, Ben Hur Glades, South Side Glades, Avalanche, Blizzard, Maringo, Holy Terror, Ben Hur, Inferno, and Little Hope
Terry Peak Ski Area also offers several lift options.
· Gold Express- This lift is a high-speed quad chair lift.
· Kussy Express- This lift is a high-speed quad chair lift.
· Snow Carpet- This lift is a surface chair lift.
· Stewart Lift- This lift is a triple chair lift.
· Surprise Express- This is a high-speed quad chair lift.
Skiing/Snowboarding- Terry Peaks boasts a large variety of different terrains for skiers and snowboarders of all skill levels to enjoy.
Terrain Park- The Terrain Park is located on the beginner level trail Snowstorm and can be accessed by using the Surprise Express. The park is completely enclosed by a fence and features snowmaking technology which was added in 2004. Its features are changed-up and added throughout the winter season.
Stewart Lodge- The Stewart Lodge offers visitors a place to warm up from their winter escapades. It contains a café and bar along with the Lift Ticket booth and the rental shop. There is also a retail shop on the chief floor of the lodge.
Nevada Gulf Lodge- This lodge is for the visitors who prefer nostalgia to modern. The lodge contains a lift ticket booth, a retail store and the Dark Horse Saloon.
Summer Activities- The Terry Peak Ski Area offers summer activities as well that vary yearly. See their website for more information.
The Terry Peak Ski Area offers lessons for those wishing to learn to ski.
· Kids Lessons- There are three levels of lessons for kids learning to ski and snowboard.
· Sno Puppies- Half Day and Full Day sessions are offered for children ages four and five.
· Sno Tigers- These lessons are available for children ages six to twelve and last only a couple of hours.
· Kids Klub 1-2-3- This is a program that last three weeks and was created to help kids develop their skills in progression. Children ages six to twelve may enter the program.
· Adult Lessons-
· Learn to Ski/Snowboard Group Lessons- These lessons are for ages thirteen and up and only for first time skiers/snowboarders.
· Mountain Challenge Group Lesson- These lessons are for ages thirteen and up that are experienced snowboarders and skiers.
· Ladies Only Ski Group- This a six-week program that was created, developed, and taught by women to teach women twenty-one and up to ski. Snowboarding lessons are also available by request.
The Mountain Retail Shop is located in Stewart Lodge and sells a variety of products including goggles, helmets, hats, gloves disposable cameras and other souvenirs with the lodge’s logo.
The Stewart Lodge contains the Stewart Lodge Café and The Bald Mountain Bar. The Nevada Gulch Lodge contains the famous Dark Horse Saloon.
21120 Stewart Slope Rd, Lead, SD, Phone: 605-584-2165