Established in 1933 to celebrate the end of Prohibition, the Esquire Tavern has been a longstanding mainstay in San Antonio offering people a place where they can enjoy great food. From beer on draft to cocktails, the Esquire Tavern is a place where people can come to socialize, relax, and enjoy their favorite drink while eating some good food. The Esquire Tavern is San Antonio’s go-to downtown bar.
The Esquire Tavern is open Sunday to Wednesday 11:30am to 12:00am and Thursday to Saturday 11:30am to 2:00am. The kitchen closes at 10:00am Sunday to Wednesday and 1:00am Thursday to Saturday.
Reservations are not required, but patrons can book a table online through OpenTable or via phone at (210) 222-252.
The menu at the Esquire Tavern features tried and true American and Mexican-influenced entrees that everyone will enjoy. From an assortment of appetizers to soups, salads, plates, and even something to please a sweet tooth, the menu has a little bit of something for everyone. In addition to the food, the Esquire Tavern also offers an extensive beer, wine, and cocktail selection.
· Appetizers -An assortment of appetizers that include shrimp toast, devilled eggs, fried pickles, chalupitas, and tacos con papas, falafel salad, and chili-salt fries.
· Salads -Several salad options are available, such as heirloom tomato salad, blackened shrimp salad, hanger steak salad, and house salad. Hanger steak, blackened shrimp, and chicken can be added for an additional cost.
· Burgers/Sandwiches -Choose from several burger and sandwich options, such as the Esquire Cheeseburger, bean burger, Hudspeth River Ranch Lamb Burger, pimento grilled cheese, fried bologna melt, fried softshell crab sandwich, and fried green tomato sandwich.
· Plates -A variety of plates are offered, which include brisket Frito pie, chile relleno, green curry chicken breast, and the Big Red Empanada.
· Sweets -Satisfy a sweet tooth with fried apple pie, chocolate mousse, banana pudding, or Justin’s ice cream.
· Drinks -An assortment of drinks are available from Esquire ginger beer and Esquire limonada to Mexican Coke, St. Arnold Root Beer, French press coffee, and popular soft drinks.
· Beer -Beer is offered on draft in an assortment of brands and flavors, by the bottle or in the can.
· Wine -Wine is available by glass or bottle. Red, rose, white, and sparkling wine varieties are available.
· Cocktails -Patrons can enjoy both classic cocktails as well as the Esquire house cocktails.
Happy hour is Monday to Friday 3:00pm to 7:00pm. Patrons get $1 off Texas draft beers as well as $3 off wine by the glass and all menu cocktails.
Patrons who want to enjoy small-scale eats with the best beer and cocktails in an intimate setting will enjoy the new Downstairs lounge, located on the Riverwalk. Downstairs offers the perfect environment for those that want to drink, chill, and enjoy their surroundings.
The Esquire Tavern offers gift cards through OpenTable. Gift cards are available beginning at $20. They can be delivered via email, or snail mail for an additional fee.
Parking is available at surrounding parking lots located within walking distance of The Esquire Tavern. The following are some parking options:
Market/Commerce Parking Garage-Market St (W of Navarro)
Southbank/Nix Parking Lot-Navarro at Crockett (SE Corner)
Central Parking-Commerce at Navarro (SW Corner)
Frost Bank Garage-Flores at Commerce at Main
The Esquire Tavern, 155 East Commerce Street, San Antonio, Texas 78205, website, Phone: 210-222-2521