Dollywood, in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee, is one of the most iconic attractions in the United States. Visitors can easily spend a whole day, or even longer, having good old-fashioned family fun in a safe, friendly, welcoming setting. The park opened in 1961 and has since grown to welcoming over two million visitors annually.
It always lives up to its slogan of loving “Every Moment.” It was renamed from Rebel Railroad to honor its creator, the famous Dolly Parton. With a total of 27 different rides, including 8 roller coasters, the parks are meant to please all guests, from the thrill seekers to the relaxed tourists. The Dollywood theme park has won awards for having the friendliest employees, the best food, the best shows, and even the best Christmas event from Amusement Today. The water park has been regularly rated as one of the top ten in the US by Trip Advisor.
The attractions at Dollywood are broken up into a few main locations - a theme park, a water park, and a resort. Below are a few highlights from each of the locations to keep an eye out for! Reservations for all areas can be made online through the Dollywood website.
Theme Park: The theme park is possibly the well-known section of Dollywood. Sitting on 150 acres located in the Great Smoky Mountains foothills, the park offers over 40 different rides, 15 outstanding shows, and five of the largest festivals in the South.
- Dollywood Express: One of the best ways to really take in the beauty and scenery of the park is to ride on the coal powered steam engine, which winds through five miles of the park.
- Lightning Rod: This coaster takes adventurous riders from 0 to 45 miles per hour 20 stories into the air with its lift hill, twisting and turning its way through the sky.
- Mystery Mine: The over 1,800-foot track propels riders through an abandoned mystery coal mine, all underground and in the dark.
- Wild Eagle: The first wing roller coaster in America soars riders far above the Great Smoky mountains.
Water Park: Especially in hot summer months, the water park is a great place to have fun and cool off. With 35 acres of water based attractions, the park is another family favorite.
- Mountain Scream: This water ride lets riders choose between a corkscrew or a quadruple drop water slide.
- Mountain Waves: One of the favorite attractions is the wave pool, with over 25,000 square feet of water!
- River Rush: The first and currently only water roller coaster in the entire state of Tennessee ushers in a new generation of water rides.
Resort: When it comes to relaxing after a long day at either the theme or water park (or both!), the resort is a great place to unwind with family and friends.
- Spa: The Dollywood spa offers a full-service selection of customized treatments for guests, like manicures, pedicures, haircuts, facials, and more.
- Kid’s Activities: Even the smallest guests can have fun at the resort. One of the favorites is Camp DW, a fun and creative environment for kids to have fun while parents can relax.
Dollywood hosts many different special events throughout the year, some have which are even award winning!
Festival of Nations: This event focuses on entertainment from all across the globe in an enormous month-long celebration of dance, music, art, and food. Many well-known (and even Grammy nominated and award winning) artists have passed through. Make sure to check out the German stilt walkers, the steel pan band, and the Siberian dance company.
Harvest Festival: September through November brings the Harvest Festival to Dollywood. With fall themed events like professional pumpkin carvers, special music guests, and other entertainment, the festival draws guests from all across the country.
Smoky Mountain Christmas: This award-winning holiday event runs from early November through early January. Part of what makes this festival so great is its abundance of different events, like the live action Wonderful Life, the Parade (of many colors), and a cast performing a medley of holiday favorites. It’s a Christmas tradition for many people!
Dining and Shopping
Dollywood features an impossibly long list of dining and shopping options. From buffets to world-class sit down dining experiences, the grounds cater to every taste level, dietary preference, and budget. It is much the same with shopping. With magic shops, clothing stores and many, many gift options, souvenirs of a visit to Dollywood are easy to come by.
Dollywood Theme Park, 2700 Dollywood Parks Blvd, Pigeon Forge, TN, 37863, Phone: 800-365-5996
Family vacation Spots near me, weather: MN, NYC, CA, VT, Newport Beach, Scottsdale, NYC, spa, WY, Naples, Pink Sand, CO, NJ beaches, NC, Denver, Dallas, Seattle, All Inclusive, Utah destinations, MD, GA, Hawaii islands, WI destinations, MN, Missouri, Canada, Bentonville, day trips from SF, Mexico, Destin, KY, Nebraska