City Grocery is an American casual elegant diner that serves fine Southern cuisine in a historic two-story building that flaunts bare brick walls and pine flooring in Oxford, MS. The restaurant offers fine dining service downstairs and a casual bar service in its bar located upstairs. City Grocery was Chef John Currence's first fine dining venture and was begun in the spring of 1992.
The restaurant is popular for the freshness of its menu and in its restaurant outlook. The City Grocery menu sports an entirely different dinner menu every 6 weeks. The lunch menu is subject to change every 8 weeks and their wine list is expanded and updated on a weekly basis. Even the restaurant's dining room is constantly embellished with fresh exhibits by local artists.
Weekend Getaways & Attractions near me: From NYC, Romantic Getaways, LA, Ohio, TX, PA, Florida, ME, SC, SF, Last Minute Travel, Places to Visit from San Diego, Romantic Weekend Getaways, Anniversary, Poconos, Sanibel Island
City Grocery Restaurant Group
City Grocery restaurant saw a lot of expansion since its inception in 1992 and is even used in the parent brand ‘City Grocery Restaurant Group’ that now holds several other restaurants owned by Chef John. The City Grocery Restaurant Group, owned and operated by Chef John Currence, consists of similar dining ventures like Bouré, Snackbar, Fat Eddie's Lamar Lounge, The Main Event, and Big Bad Breakfast, which are also located in Oxford, Mississippi.
Farmers’ Cooperative & Market
The restaurant is popular for serving north Mississippi’s most innovative fares with a special emphasis on locally sourced produce supplied by local farmers’ cooperatives and markets that are held twice a week in the Oxford community. Chef John himself has several years of experience working as an organizer for local farmers markets and with this experience, he has established a network of local producers who supply fresh produce to his chain of restaurants.
Operating Hours (updated on 4/16/2017)
The restaurant serves lunch Monday through Saturday from 11:30am to 2:30pm. Dinner is served Monday through Thursday from 6:00pm to 10:00pm and on Fridays and Saturdays, dinner is served from 6:00pm to 10:30pm. Brunch is served on Sundays from 11:00am to 2:30pm.
· Lunch - bites, soup, salads, sandwiches, entrees, and beverages that include soft drinks, iced tea, fruit juice, coffees, along with domestic and premium draft beer selections
· Dinner - appetizers, soup, salads, entrees, and beverages
· Brunch - starters, salads, sides, eggs, sandwiches, plates with an assorted brunch menu, and brunch beverages
· Dessert - The desserts menu offers desserts, ports and dessert wines, cordials and liquors, brandy and cognac, Scotch and whiskey, and Kentucky whiskey.
· Wine - white wine, red wine, and other reds and blends
· Bar - Cocktails and snacks
Recognition and Accolades
· City Grocery has received media recognition as one of the finest establishments in Mississippi
· Received several invitations to cook at the James Beard Foundation, New York City
· Recipient of the first Wine Spectator’s Award of Excellence in 1999
· Chef John was nominated many times for the James Beard Foundation’s Outstanding Chef Southeast
Although City Grocery welcomes walk-ins, they recommend reservations are made prior to arrival. The restaurant accepts phone call reservations as well as online reservations via the OpenTable application, available on the restaurant website.
Back to: Oxford, MS
City Grocery, 152 Courthouse Square, Oxford, Mississippi 38655, Phone: 662-232-8080