There’s nothing you can’t do in New York City. The Big Apple symbolizes the spirit of the United States and the American Dream better than anywhere else in the entire country, offering a limitless array of opportunities and activities. From live shows and entertainment to museums, monuments, outdoor activities and so much more, New York is one of the biggest cities and one of the most popular tourist hotspots on the planet. CDC information for travelers. Hours/availability may have changed.
2.Best Zip Lines in NYC
3.Important Information for Zip Lines in NYC
Zip Lining in NYC
- Overview, Photo: tradol/stock.adobe.com
- Best Zip Lines in NYC, Photo: Martin/stock.adobe.com
- Important Information for Zip Lines in NYC, Photo: Ammit/stock.adobe.com
- Cover Photo: Courtesy of auremar - Fotolia.com
More Ideas: Staten Island Ferry
The Staten Island Ferry has been operated by New York City, NY since 1905. Every year, the ferry transports more than twenty-three million passengers on its 5.2-mile route between Lower Manhattan's Whitehall Terminal and Staten Island's St. George Terminal. The ferry operates every day of the year, twenty-four hours a day. With a more than 96 percent on-time performance, the ferry is the city's most reliable form of mass transit.
Five ferry boats make 118 trips on a typical weekday. The Staten Island Ferry operates on a four-boat schedule during rush hours, with a boat departing every fifteen minutes. Three boats are used on the weekends, with the ferry departing every half hour or hour during the weekend and nights. These boats make more than forty thousand trips each year. The schedule may be changed, however, due to heavy weather or reduced visibility.
The Staten Island Ferry runs between the Whitehall Terminal at Lower Manhattan and the St. George Terminal at Staten Island. The trip from one ferry terminal to the other takes around twenty-five minutes. There is no cost to ride the ferry, making it a great option for visitors looking for a way to relax and see the New York City skyline. The Whitehall Terminal in Manhattan is located at 4 South Street, and the St. George Terminal on Staten Island is situated at 1 Bay Street. Cars cannot be transported on the Staten Island Ferry.
The Whitehall Terminal for the Staten Island Ferry began operations in 2005. The core of the terminal is its entry hall that measures seventy-five feet high, featuring panoramic views of the harbor and the skyline of downtown Manhattan. The structure uses a state-of-the-art air conditioning and heating system that is partially powered by solar panels. Encompassing a total of 200,000 square feet in space, the Whitehall Terminal includes 6,000 feet of retail space, a 19,000-foot waiting room, 10,000 feet of offices, and 10,000 feet of ferry operation rooms and ancillary support.
Passengers of the Staten Island Ferry can even enjoy a bit of art while waiting for the ferry. Designed by artist Ming Fay, twenty-eight granite benches were installed in the terminal by Percent of Art. The benches, titled Whitehall Crossing, imitate the look of Indian canoes crossing the New York Bay. Connected to the Whitehall Terminal by covered walkways, the renovated Peter Minuit Plaza provides access to buses and taxis. The plaza is home to a space for community activities, forty-two new trees, a stop on a new bus loop, and a dedicated area for cab drop-offs.
The St. George Terminal on Staten Island was originally constructed in 1950. Extensive renovations were done many years later, with the terminal reopening in 2005. The glass and steel design of the renovated terminal lets in natural lighting. Floor-to-ceiling windows provide great harbor views. Ornamental rails secure the transparent waiting room. Walkways to the ballpark and Richmond Terrace, as well as twenty thousand square feet of retail space were added during the renovation.
1 Ferry Terminal Drive, Staten Island, New York, Phone: 212-839-3096
You are reading "Zip Lining in NYC " Back to Top
More Ideas: North Brother Island
New York is a state filled with culture and history that has experienced rapid growth throughout the years. North Brother Island, located in the East River in New York City, is a striking reminder of the changes that have occurred to this city over the years. While many other places in New York City are well known to the public, such as the Empire State Building and the Statue of Liberty, North Brother Island, with its rich history, has remained a less famous part of the city.
In 1614, North Brother Island was purchased by the Dutch West Indian Company, although no one actually lived on the island until 1885. Settlers began to arrive due to the closure of the Riverside Hospital, a hospital located in Roosevelt Island (then known as Blackwell Island) that was for people who had contracted smallpox. The most famous resident of the Riverside Hospital was Mary Mallon, also known as "Typhoid Mary." A horrific steamboat disaster occurred in 1904, when the PS General Slocum, carrying over 1,000 passengers and crew, caught fire and sank in the East River near North Brother Island. Over 1,300 lives were lost, more than half of whom were women and children, and less than two hundred people survived. North Brother Island became associated with this terrible incident because many of the dead washed up on the shore. Following the end of the second World War, North Brother Island was used to house war veterans and their families, and after the hospital was eventually closed down in 1950, a drug rehabilitation center was opened in its place. Over the years, the city of New York has contemplated what should be done with the North Brother Island and today the island remains mainly off-limits to the public.
North Brother Island had one of the largest areas for black-crowned night heron from the 1980s until the 2000s. This medium-sized coastal bird is found mainly in Eurasia and other colder regions and lives in wetlands and other watery areas; however, for some reason, this species has recently abandoned the island. Another type of bird that is currently inhabiting the North Brother Island is the barn swallow, commonly found in Europe, Asia, Africa, and America. The abandoned buildings of North Brother Island make perfect nesting areas for these birds. Since North Brother Island was abandoned, the local wildlife has been protected by New York City, both federally and by the state.
Neighboring Island and Sites
North Brother Island is often associated with South Brother Island. Both islands were purchased by the same Dutch West India Company and were known to the public as "The Companions". While North Brother Island was used for hospitals and a rehabilitation center, South Brother Island was used mainly as a garbage disposal area and, until 1975, South Brother Island was under the same ownership as North Brother Island. Unfortunately, visiting North Brother Island is no easy task as permission from the parks department is necessary and specific conditions and rules need to be considered. In general, only scientists and researchers are allowed on the island. Anyone intending to visit, cannot do so from May to September as this is the breeding season for most of the wildlife. Big boats cannot dock at North Brother Island, so ferries cannot access this island. Of the 25 buildings on North Brother Island, none are currently being used, including the ruins of the old ferry dock.
More Things to Do in NYC
You are reading "Zip Lining in NYC " Back to Top
More Ideas: Federal Hall
Located in New York City, New York, Federal Hall is a historic government building that served as a colonial and early American Congress hall and United States Customs House, operated today as a National Memorial under the care of the National Park Service.
Two structures have stood on the site that now encompasses Federal Hall National Monument, with the first constructed as a Greek Revival-style building between 1699 and 1703. The first Federal Hall was designed as the first City Hall for New York City and was the site of the 1735 trial and acquittal of newspaper publisher John Peter Zenger, a libel case that was influential in establishing the guidelines of freedom of the press that would be defined in the American Bill of Rights. In October of 1765, delegates from nine American colonies convened at the facility for the Stamp Act Congress, which protested taxation without representation and is considered the first organized opposition to British policy by America. Following the American Revolution, City Hall served as the site for the Congress of the Confederation, which passed such as the Northwest Ordinance that had a lasting impact on the geography and social policies of the United States.
In 1788, the City Hall building was substantially remodeled under the supervision of architect Pierre Charles L’Enfant and renovated into a Federal-style hall, the first example of its kind of architecture in the United States. The following year, the building was renamed Federal Hall and assigned as the first United States Capitol. During its use as the meeting site for the First United States Congress, the site was used as a presidential inauguration site and was the site of the proposal and ratification of the Bill of Rights and the Judiciary Act. In 1970, when the United States Capitol was moved to Philadelphia, the building once again housed city government offices for New York City until 1812.
In 1812, following the opening of New York City Hall, the original Federal Hall building was razed to make way for a planned United States Customs House, the first purpose-built facility of its kind. John Frazee was selected as architect for the project, which took more than a decade to complete. The building, officially opened to the public in 1842, is considered today to be one of the best surviving examples of neoclassical architecture within the City of New York. The Tuckahoe marble structure was constructed with elements meant to evoke the ideals of the Roman Republic, including a domed ceiling and Doric columns meant to resemble those of the Parthenon. A bronze statue of by John Quincy Adams Ward was constructed in 1882 to commemorate the inauguration of George Washington. In 1862, Customs operations were moved to a nearby facility on Wall Street and the building became the home of the United States Sub-Treasury until 1920, when the service was replaced by the Federal Reserve Bank. In 1939, the structure was designated as Federal Hall Memorial National Historic Site, and in 1955, it was redesignated as Federal Hall National Monument. The site was and was designated as a New York City Landmark in 1965 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places the following year.
Today, Federal Hall National Monument is operated by the National Park Service as a monument standing in remembrance of the original Federal Hall building. Though the current structure was never operated under the name Federal Hall, the monument bears its name to honor the historic significance of the former structure in American politics and culture. The monument is open to the public free of charge throughout the morning and afternoon hours on weekdays, with the exception of major national holidays.
Exhibit galleries are offered within the building, showcasing historical information about Federal Hall’s notable Congressional acts, along with information about the inauguration and presidency of George Washington. Major artifacts on display include the Bible used by George Washington to swear his oath of office during his inauguration. A Discover New York Harbor Visitor Information Center is also located within the facility, offering information about nearby tourist attractions, and a Museum Store operated by Eastern National sells books, multimedia, and souvenirs related to American government and independence.
Ongoing Programs and Education
Guided and self-guided tours of the facility are available regularly during operating hours, with no reservations necessary for standard guided tours. Guided tours are offered on the hour throughout the morning and afternoon hours and last approximately 30 minutes. Group tours for 10 to 30 visitors may be reserved in advance, including field trip opportunities for elementary and secondary school students. A variety of public special event programming is presented at the facility throughout the year, including events related to American independence and government holidays. The monument participates in the National Park Service’s Junior Ranger program, which offers participation badges and certificates for young visitors in exchange for completion of exhibit activities.
26 Wall St, New York, NY 10005, Phone: 212-825-6990
More Things to Do in NYC
You are reading "Zip Lining in NYC " Back to Top