Albuquerque is a fascinating city, renowned for its historic buildings, unique architectural styles, fascinating landmarks, and beautiful surrounding scenery. It's also home to a vibrant arts and crafts scene, with many talented artists and imaginative people creating all kinds of works and items. Strangely enough, however, back in the late 1980s, there weren't actually any arts and crafts shows in the city in the spring time, despite the fact that spring in Albuquerque is really when the city comes to life and sees a lot of other exciting events and family activities.
So, in March of 1988, the Rio Grande Arts and Crafts Festivals began. Starting off with just one show, these Albuquerque festivals have now grown into a trio of shows, held each and every year, with each one giving artisans, creators, and artists a chance to share their talents with the public. Still run and organized by the same family who started it up back in the 1980s, Rio Grande Arts and Crafts Festivals has become a big part of the city's identity and the three annual festivals - The Spring Show, Balloon Fiesta Show, and Holiday Show - are key dates on the Albuquerque calendar each year.
The Spring Show
Here's all you need to know about The Spring Show of the Rio Grande Arts and Crafts Festivals:
- Location - The Spring Show is held at the Expo Fairgrounds in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- Dates - This show is held on the second weekend of March. It runs for three days.
- What To Expect - Anyone heading to The Spring Show of the Rio Grande Arts and Crafts Festivals will be able to enjoy a whole host of art, entertainment, and great food and drink too. You'll be able to browse a wide selection of fine art and craft vendors, with over 180 vendors set to attend the event, as well as enjoy live music from plenty of great bands, singers, and musicians. Over on 'Culinary Row', guests will find more than a dozen booths offering samples and tasters of delicious treats and snacks, both sweet and savory.
Balloon Fiesta Show
Here's all you need to know about the Balloon Fiesta Show of the Rio Grande Arts and Crafts Festivals:
- Location - The Balloon Fiesta Show will be held at the Sandia Resort and Casino in Albuquerque.
- Dates and Times - For 2019, celebrating the 31st edition of this fun-filled festival, the Balloon Fiesta Show will run from October 4 through to October 6 and then on a secondary weekend from October 11 through to October 13.
- What To Expect - Like any of the three Rio Grande Arts and Crafts Festivals events, the Balloon Fiesta Show will be a hub for fine art, quality crafts, delicious food, and entertaining live music. Over 200 artists and artisans will be in attendance from all over the nation to show off their skills and creations, perfect for anyone with an interest in unique items and beautiful artworks. Over on the entertainment side of things, visitors at this Albuquerque arts show will be able to enjoy everything from rock and country tunes to mariachi bands, Spanish music, and jazz. There will also be a kids' corner with fun and games to keep the little ones entertained throughout the day. Whenever you get hungry or thirsty, you can head over to the Culinary Arts section for handmade snacks like salsas and soups, as well as delicious tacos and craft cocktails too.
Here's all you need to know about the Holiday Show of the Rio Grande Arts and Crafts Festivals:
- Location - For 2019, the 20th annual Holiday Show of the Rio Grande Arts and Crafts Festivals will be held at the Expo Fairgrounds.
- Dates and Times - The holiday show will be held from November 29 through to December 1, offering three fun filled days of excitement and art for all to enjoy.
- What To Expect - As wit the other Rio Grande festivals, guests at the Holiday Show can expect great food, awesome entertainment, and lots and lots of arts and crafts to feast their eyes on. Many different artists and artisans will be in attendance and it's a great time to grab some gifts for loved ones ahead of the holidays. You'll find everything from jewelry and trinkets to clothing and paintings. Various musicians, carol-singers, bands, and other performers will be in attendance too in order to illuminate the whole show with their voices and audio art. Finally, for those moments when you need a bite to eat or something to drink, you'll find chocolates, salsas, dips, oils, and lots more free samples waiting to be tasted at Culinary Row. website