No Taste Like Home is the world's largest foraging tour company and is based in Asheville, North Carolina. Due to the location's diverse range of temperatures, the company is able to organize several "forage & feast" programs to visitors all year round. Participating foragers get to learn about the 150 common wild foods grown in western North Carolina and also pick them for themselves.
Visitors get to enjoy their very own "catch of the day" by cooking up their wild food to sample a taste. The participants also get to take home their finds and can even sell the several exotic edible wild plants, mushrooms, and other wild foods found during the foraging tour. No Taste Like Home is the only tour company to offer such a novel experience of forage-to-table in North America, where guests themselves gather the ingredients needed for cooking.
More ideas: Best Beaches, Best Weekend Getaways, Best Day Trips
© No Taste Like Home
The wild food foraging tours at No Taste Like Home are conducted by highly skilled tour guides and professional wild crafters who are qualified in wild food identification and processing. All tours start with a demo on the basics of safe foraging.
· Mini-Tours - Mini-tours are 1.5-hour wild food foraging tours conducted at the Omni Grove Park Inn. The tour introduces the participants to at least half a dozen wild foods and also offers a dinner at the Omni's Sunset View Restaurant with a free appetizer made from one of the wild foods introduced during the tour. Charges are $40 per adult and $15 per child.
· Regular Tour - Regular tours are 3 hours of wild food foraging and are conducted at different locations within a 20 to 40-minute radius of downtown Asheville. The tour also focuses on 12 to 15 types of wild plants and mushrooms during the mushroom season. A sampling of the gathered food will be cooked up by participants at the end of the tour. Participants can even choose to take their wild finds to one of six partner restaurants to get it cooked in an appetizer – free of charge. Tours are $75 per adult and $30 per child.
· Private Tours - Private tours are three-hour foraging activities that can be tailored to the group's interests, such as finding medicinal plants or including more hiking during the tour. Prices start from $450 for six adults and $75 for each additional adult.
The company also offers year-round full-length private tours upon request, which include a visit to the waterfall, gathering root beer ingredients, and even finding chaga mushrooms. These private tours focus on 12 to 15 edibles found in the wild.
Fun day trip ideas: Ohio, From San Francisco, Weekend Getaways from NYC, Texas, CA, Oregon, Florida
2.Plan your Visit
© No Taste Like Home
The tour booking option is available on the company's website and you need to register for a preferred tour and pay online via credit card. The payment also can be made via mail through a check or money order. The company only holds reserved places once payment is received. You can use their gift certificates and season passes to take part in tours.
Back to: Things to Do in Asheville, North Carolina
No Taste Like Home, Various Locations, Asheville, North Carolina 28801, website, Phone: 828-209-8599
Things to do near me: Sarasota, From Boston, OR, NC, AK, Boulder, From Houston, NJ, GA, Orlando
No Taste Like Home in Asheville, North Carolina
- Tours, Photo: No Taste Like Home
- Plan your Visit, Photo: No Taste Like Home
- Cover Photo: No Taste Like Home