Just beyond the St. Louis Cathedral, inside an 18th Century somewhere around Jackson Square is popular gastropub that’s visited by New Orleans locals and tourists alike. People come here for the unpretentious dishes served in an environment that could easily pass off as an uptown but saloon-like bar. For the same reason, people also come here for a casual beer.
Known for as much for its Chick-fil-A as it is for its scallops, Sylvain literally has the elements of both a casual and a sophisticated restaurant. While the restaurant serves simple dishes, it makes a difference with the way they are executed, all thanks to Chef Alex Harell, who is often seen by diners in the restaurant.
Depending on the day of the week, Sylvain serves brunch, dinner, or both. The bar is also open daily.
Mondays to Thursdays: 5:30 PM to 11:00 PM
Fridays and Saturdays: 5:30 PM to 12:00 Midnight
Sundays: 5:30 PM to 10:00 PM
Fridays to Sundays: 10:30 AM to 2:30 PM
The bar is open every day at 5:00 PM.
Sylvain uses OpenTable, so the best way to make reservations with the restaurant is online. Guests simple have to indicate the number of seats as well as the date and time in order to make the reservation. Alternatively, reservations can be made by calling 504-265-8123. Reservations are recommended for convenience.
Of course, Sylvain also welcomes walk-ins. The full menu is also served at the bar, where guests are accommodated on a first come, first served basis.
Sylvain’s food selection is separated into three main categories, namely: Dinner, Brunch, and Dessert
· Starters: Chicken Liver Crostini, Fried Eggplant and Burrata, Artisan Cheese Plate, Smoked Fish Fritters, Southern Antipasti, Stuffed Banana Pepper, Champagne and Fries, Veal Sweetbreads, Gulf Fish Crudo, Chili Roasted Almonds, Soup of the Day
· Salads: Shaved Brussel Sprouts, Seasonal Market Salad, Roasted Beet, Tomato and Cucumber Salad
· Entrees: Pan-Fried Pork Shoulder, Sylvain Burger, Pappardelle Bolognese, Braised Beef Cheeks, Pork Milanese, LA Shrimp and Little Neck Clams, “Chick-Syl-vain” Sandwich, Seared Hanger Steak, Daily Fish Preparation
· Small Plates: Shaved brussel Sprouts, Scrambled Egg Toast, Crispy Black Eyed Pea Cake
· For the Table: Buttermilk Biscuits and Gravy, Cheese and Fruit Cake, Antipasti Plate, Champagne and Fries, Chilled LA Gulf Shrimp
· Sides: Biscuits, Bacon, Grits, Two Farmer’s Eggs
Dessert: Chocolate Pot de Creme, Bourbon Milk Punch Ice Cream Sandwich, Lemon Buttermilk Pound Cake, Blue and Sauternes
In addition to the meals, Sylvain also has an extensive selection of cocktails and beer. The cocktails are categorized into Sylvain, Classic, and Brunch, with prices ranging between $8 to $13.
Sylvain also hosts special events such as corporate luncheons and family celebrations. Inquiries can be made via email.
For more information about the restaurant and its services, call (504) 265-8123 or visit Sylvain’s official website.
Sylvain, 625 Chartres St., French Quarter, New Orleans, LA 70130, Phone: 504-265-8123