New Orleans is one of America’s most famous and beloved cities. A truly unique place where many different cultures and diverse influences have come together in incredible balance and harmony over the years to create a one of a kind ‘melting pot’ of ideas and inspirations, the city is renowned worldwide for its unique culture, festive celebrations, and delicious cuisine.
Simply strolling along a typical New Orleans street is a wonderful way to see, feel, and experience the diversity and unique culture of this location, but there’s one place in the city that really brings together all of the fun and variety of New Orleans under one roof: Pythian Market. Situated in Downtown New Orleans, this food hall is one of the city’s hottest locations.
Pythian Market - Food Hall in New Orleans
New Orleans is famous for its creole cuisine, but you’ll find much more than that at Pythian Market. A hugely popular hangout spot with New Orleans natives, this food hall and event space is filled with local food and drink vendors, curated retailers, rotating pop-ups, and more.
A super location for foodies and friends, the Pythian Market is also a place to engage with New Orleans as a city, feeling the soul and spirit of Louisiana all around you in this community-focused gathering space that really celebrates and honors the people and culture that make the Big Easy such a unique location.
- A Historic Location - The Pythian Market is housed in the Pythian, one of the most storied and celebrated buildings in the whole city of New Orleans. Instantly recognizable with its unique architectural style and imposing facade, this building was constructed back in the early 1900s and actually played a big role in the Civil Rights Movement for New Orleans, becoming a beacon of sorts for the local African American community. It was a place for people to come together and feel like they were in their own 'home away from home', enjoying live entertainment and good company. That same spirit is present in the Pythian to this day, thanks to the Pythian Market.
- Fantastic Food and Delicious Drinks - You'll find of local New Orleans food and drink purveyors at Pythian Market. All kinds of styles of food can be enjoyed here, from timeless American classics like burgers and sandwiches to international favorites like pizza and tacos, as well as Asian savors, healthy salads, Middle Eastern dishes, Caribbean cuisine, vegan and vegetarian options, and sweet treats too. Examples of vendors include Meribo Pizza, Fete Au Fete, 1908, Eat Well, Kais, and 14 Parishes, and all of these vendors represent the diversity of New Orleans. You'll also be able to relax in a bar environment with high quality wines, craft beers, and awesome cocktails too.
- Exciting Events - Instead of simply being a place where people come to enjoy great food and drinks, Pythian Market aims to provide a communal gathering space for New Orleans natives and visitors alike. The Pythian itself has always had a sense of community spirit and played a big role in bringing people together over the years, and Pythian Market continues this tradition through the organization of regular special events and activities. Whether it's special sports evenings to watch live games or happy hours where people can dine for under $10 with their friends, there are always fun things on the calendar.
Visiting Pythian Market in New Orleans
Now that you've seen what the Pythian Market has to offer and why it stands out as one of the best places to visit in New Orleans, let's take a look at how you can enjoy this location by yourself or with your friends and family.
- Location - The Pythian Market is situated at 234 Loyola Ave. New Orleans, LA 70112. There are several streetcar and bus stations nearby, so getting to the Pythian Market via public transport is very easy. Local areas of interest include Duncan Plaza, the New Orleans City Hall, and several highly rated theaters, hotels, and restaurants, so there's plenty more to do while visiting the Pythian Market to extend your day.
- Dates and Times - The Pythian Market is open every single day of the week, but hours do vary from day to day. From Sundays through to Thursdays, the market is open from 8am to 9pm, whereas the opening hours change slightly to 8am to 10pm for Fridays and Saturdays. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner can all be enjoyed at the Pythian Market.
With its wide array of food and drink vendors, combined with regular special events and communal hangout spots, the Pythian Market really sums up the spirit and personality of New Orleans. It's an unmissable stopping point on any tour of the city for visiting travelers and is a wonderful place for locals to meet up with their friends and family too, so don't miss out on a trip to Pythian Market on your next New Orleans visit.
234 Loyola Ave, New Orleans, LA 70112, Phone: 504-481-9599, website