There are some incredible areas of natural beauty to be enjoyed all around the United States. From the Grand Canyon to Yosemite National Park, the country is home to all kinds of amazing landscapes and stunning scenery. Those living over on the western side of the United States can visit the likes of the Grand Canyon, Zion National Park, Redwood National Park, and Yellowstone National Park, but the eastern side of America also has its own fair share of magical natural places, with the Poconos being a fine example.
Located in the northeastern part of Pennsylvania, the Poconos (or Pocono Mountains) spread out across over 2,000 square miles of land. A hugely popular area for fishing, hiking, skiing, and many other outdoor recreation activities, the Poconos are also home to lots of luxury resorts and popular campsites. The area is particularly popular with people living and working in nearby big cities like New York and Philadelphia, being only a couple of hours' drive away for millions of people.
Getting to the Poconos
The route you take and the length of your journey to the Poconos will depend on your starting point, and the Poconos are within easy reach of many different cities and areas in New York State, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and even further afield like Maryland and Delaware. The Poconos are about 90 minutes away from NYC and two hours from Philadelphia, and you can follow the I-78, I-80, I-81, I-84, I-380, or I-476 to get there.
If you prefer not to drive, you can sign up for Pocono day tours with several tour companies operating in both NYC and Philadelphia. These tours will typically feature full transport to and from the Poconos, as well as the possibility to add guided tours and various activities included as part of a package deal. You can also choose to take private transfers to the Poconos from many locations, but the costs of these transfers can vary greatly.
Things to Do at the Poconos
- Things to Do - Whether you're heading to the Poconos for a family adventure or a romantic getaway, you'll find a whole host of amazing activities to try out. The Poconos is very much a four-seasons location, with a long list of activities to enjoy in spring, summer, fall, and winter. Live concerts, outdoor activities, fascinating museums, elegant restaurants, and much more can be found in this part of Pennsylvania.
- Outdoor Activities - One of the main reasons people go to the Poconos is to spend lots of time outdoors, breathing in the fresh, marveling at the amazing scenery all around them, and engaging in a wide variety of outdoor activities. Some of the most popular outdoor activities you can try here include hiking, biking, horseback riding, and fishing. Those looking for something more intense can try whitewater rafting, while those in need of something more calming and soothing can simply plan out a scenic picnic and do some wildlife spotting.
- Family Activities - The Poconos is one of the best places to go if you're planning a fun family day out from New York or Philadelphia. There are lots of family-friendly activities and attractions here, including a huge indoor waterpark, a snowtubing park, Costa's Family Fun Park, the world's biggest general store, a wild animal park named Claws 'N' Paws, and so much more.
- Skiing and Winter Activities - If you're heading to the Pocono Mountains in winter, a completely different range of activities and opportunities become available for your enjoyment. There are several world class ski resorts and areas all around the Poconos, with activities like skiing, snowboarding, and snowtubing being very popular. You can also go on a sleigh ride or even mush your own team of huskies.
- Pocono Tours - If you want to make the most of your Pocono Mountains day trip, one of the best options might be to sign up for a day tour. A huge range of tours are available around the Poconos, with trained and friendly guides leading the way. Whether you’re looking to do some ziplining, boating, visiting waterfalls, exploring historic buildings, or heading off on a train ride, you’ll find a great range of different tours to choose from.
- Food and Drink - No matter what kind of cuisine you favor, you'll find a lot of options around the Poconos. The culinary scene in this area has really evolved in recent times, with a lot of top quality restaurants offering up everything from classic American fare to Italian food, Thai favorites, seafood delights, and so much more.