Beloved by people all over the world for centuries, rum is one of the most unique distilled alcoholic drinks. Prepared from a foundation of sugarcane and equally enjoyable both neat or in cocktails, rum is a highly versatile drink that is most commonly associated with exotic, island locations like the Caribbean, but rum distilleries can be found in many other locations, include the Centennial State: Colorado.
Montanya Distillers is one of Colorado's leading rum producers. With a distillery sitting way up in the Rocky Mountains at an elevation of around 9,000 feet above sea level, Montanya Distillers creates an astonishing selection of handcrafted rums from high quality ingredients, using time-tested techniques and equipment to guarantee only the finest levels of quality and flavor every time.
Montanya Distillers Rum
Montanya Distillers first got started back in 2008 in the town of Silverton, Colorado. Husband and wife duo Karen and Brice Hoskin founded the brand, which later relocated to Crested Butte in 2011. The distillery started small, but has now grown to a point where its rum is sold and enjoyed in over 40 states and seven different countries.
Aimed at becoming one of the leading names in American rum production, Montanya Distilleries was established on smart principles and the founders have always remained true to their principles, only using high quality ingredients and only offering the finest levels of service. Here's all you need to know about Montanya Distillers rum:
- Best Colorado Rum - Many people might be surprised at the idea of producing rum in Colorado. The drink is typically associated with the countries of Latin America and the islands of the Caribbean, but terrific rum can be made in a mountainous region like Colorado too. In fact, the mountains actually help to improve the rum's quality! High altitudes have been proven to assist in the ageing process, resulting in a smoother texture and richer flavor.
- Crested Butte Rum - The town of Crested Butte has a historic association with rum in particular. Miners in the town have been drinking and enjoying rum for over a century now, and the best rums are aged in casks made of American Oak, which are much easier to obtain in a location like Colorado than out on a Caribbean island. Additionally, since water is mostly made up of water, the high quality mountain spring water in the Crested Butte area also helps to give Montanya Distillers rum a crisp, smooth texture and delicious flavor.
- Quality Rum - All rums produced at Montanya Distillers are made to the highest possible standards. No nasty ingredients are added in, and only the purest snow melt and spring water, fresh from the Rocky Mountains, is used in production. High quality American White Oak barrels are used in production, Colorado honey from local farms is added into the mix, American sugar cane from Louisiana, and yeast are the only ingredients used in the creation of these rums. You won't find any flavorings, additives, or other undesirable ingredients, and everything is done by hand at Montanya Distillers.
- Award-Winning - Montanya Distillers rums have won several awards over the years, including many gold medals at both national and international competitions and events. The Montanya Platino, for example won 'Best White Rum' at the World Rum Awards in 2015, while the Montanya Oro has always won medals and awards including a 'Best In Class'. The Platino and Oro are the two main offerings of Montanya Distillers, but other limited bottles are also provided including the Montanya Aniversaria, which was released to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the distillery, and the Montanya Exclusiva, which was a limited release and only sold in Colorado.
Montanaya Distillers produces some of the best rum not just in America, but in the world. The unique advantages of ageing these rums at high altitudes in the Rocky Mountains, as well as the use of non-GMO sugar, handcrafted production techniques, and natural snow melt water from Crested Butte, really helps to give these drinks some amazing flavors.
Montanya Distillers rums can be purchased in most states, as well as in Canada and other locations around the world. You can also visit the Montanya Distillers location in Crested Butte to try these rums in the tasting room alongside some delicious snacks and treats.
Visiting Montanya Distillers Tasting Room
The Montanya Distillers Tasting Room is easily one of the best places to go in Crested Butte. Located at 212 Elk Avenue, this tasting room offers free rum tastings all year long, as well as tours of the distillery, live entertainment, and much more.
- Rum Tastings - The Montanya Distillers Tasting Room has actually been ranked as the best restaurant in all of Crested Butte by users of the popular travel site TripAdvisor. In the tasting room, you'll be able to enjoy free samples of rum, as well as the opportunity to try some amazing artisan cocktails and a great selection of food too. Chef Rose Reyes offers a delightful menu of international street food-style snacks like noodle bowls, tapas platters, and more, made with only local ingredients and seasonal produce. Even those who don’t like rum will find a lot to love about this Crested Butte restaurant.
- Distillery Tours - Montanya Distillers also runs simply distillery tours all through the year. These tours are generally aimed at small groups of 10 people or less, letting everyone ask questions and feel included in the tour. An expert guide will show you around, teaching you about the individual aspects of the rum making process, and the tours are very flexible, so you don't need to book in advance or arrive at a set time unless you have any special arrangements that need to be made.
- Live Music - The Montanya Distillers Tasting Room is also a great hangout spot in the town of Crested Butte. Popular with locals and visitors alike, this location hosts various special events and live music evenings, with local and regional bands of all styles playing their own tunes for you to enjoy while tasting some quality rum and enjoying the food provided. website