La Cantina is a counter-service taqueria that serves authentic Mexican street food with a contemporary fusion in Whistler, British Columbia, Canada. The bustling taco shop was opened in the summer of 2014 by the same restaurant group that is behind The Mexican Corner Restaurant at Whistler, BC. This counter-service taco shop is proudly owned and operated by chefs from Mexico City, who use only the freshest ingredients in making their tacos, burritos, and salads.
Although La Cantina is a counter-service taqueria offering fast Mexican food, it maintains an upscale restaurant atmosphere. The prices are affordable although do not in any way reflect upon the extraordinary quality of the food or the friendly ambience. The eatery flaunts a casual and fun atmosphere with its margaritas and beer variations along with its contemporary tacos, served in an industrial cantina-themed restaurant.
La Cantina offers fresh Mexican fusion cuisine that accommodates dietary preferences like gluten free, dairy free, vegan and all around healthier alternatives. The eatery's food items are made with a twist on traditional recipes, fusing concepts and cuisines in a way not found in any other taco shop. The taco shop is also popular for its New Grist gluten-free beer.
La Cantina operates every day of the week, Monday through Thursday from 11:30am to 9:00pm, and Friday through Sunday from 11:00am to 9:30pm.
· Meat Tacos - Classic tacos served on 4-inch soft shell corn tortillas. Variations include pulled chicken tinga, pulled chicken mole verde, pulled pork cochinita, braised pork carnitas, pulled sweet pork, baked fish taco, seared tuna taco, and slow-cooked beef taco.
· Vegetarian Tacos - Tofu, Cubano, poblano, and La Cantina style refried beans tacos.
· Burritos - Served in a flour tortilla filled with Cubano rice mix, lettuce, refried beans, and a choice of protein options like pulled chicken, pulled pork, braised pork, slow cooked beef, tofu, or poblano pepper.
· Soups - Mexican beef soup and chicken soup.
· Salads - Machu Picchu salad and wrap made with mixed greens, beets, quinoa, avocado, pear, crumbled cashews, and ginger soy dressing. Also available is the Cantina Greens salad, made with greens, Cubano rice mix, potato wedges, tomato wedges, crispy corn strips, feta, and orange pasilla chili dressing.
· Alcoholic - Mexican brews like Negra Modelo, Modelo Especial, Dos Equis XX Lager, Pacifico, Corona, Stella Artois, and Whistler Brewing variations like Lost Lake IPA, Mountain Lager, and Forager.
· Non-Alcoholic - Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, sparkling water, coconut water, apple juice, water bottle, and Jarrito’s Mexican Pop, available in mandarin, pineapple, strawberry, and lime flavors.
La Cantina Express
La Cantina operates an express service located in Function Junction, Whistler. The express counter caters to all the take-away taco needs of La Cantina patrons. The counter is located across from Whistler Brewing, at Unit 4 - 1020 Millar Creek Road, and operates Monday through Friday from 11:00am to 4:00pm. Customers also can avail themselves of the option to call ahead to pre order by calling the express counter on 604-962-1227.
Back to: Things to Do in Whistler, Canada
La Cantina, 129-4340 Lorimer Road, Whistler, BC V0N 1B4, website, Phone: 604-962-9950