© Studio 550 Art Center
Teen and Adult Art Classes (15 years+)
· Art Class Sample Pack- Perfect for beginners, this class offers a crash course in five different medias and includes five classes that are 2-3 hours in length. Pottery, stained glass, book making, drawing, and watercolor with all materials provided will be covered.
· Acrylic Painting- An introductory class to the art of acrylics will be covered in this 10-week course that is offered 4 times per year. Materials will need to be purchased prior to the class.
· Watercolor Painting- This 8-week beginner-intermediate watercolor class is taught by a master watercolor artist who has been teaching watercolor for over 20 years. Students will learn basic color theory and how to show 3D space.
· Stained Glass- This class has the option of 5 or 10 week courses with a maximum of 5 students per class. Students much purchase their own glass, but all other materials are provided.
· Pottery- Open to all skill levels, this class will teach how to throw on the pottery wheel or work independently if your skills are more advanced. The class ends with a potluck. Glazing and firing costs are not including in the class price. You can also choose to build by hand. This class is offered 4-5 days per week.
· Book Binding and Book Arts- students learn the art of book making and binding from single page to pamphlets, origami and cards/envelopes and more. Participants are welcome to bring in their own specialty paper or stationary, but materials will be provided. Future workshops include coptic and sewn binding such as tape, French, and stab. There are also workshops for up-cycling books, tunnel books, and more based on demand and interest.
· Drawing- An 8-week course for the beginner artist, students will learn the basics of how to draw lines and shape and work up to shading and proportions. Concepts such as contour, negative and positive space, and representational drawing are taught in this class. A materials list will be provided and students will need to purchase these materials prior to the class.
Workshops for Teens and Adults
For those interested in Studio 550, but not able to commit to an 8 or 10-week art class, the teachers do offer 1 day workshops for teens and adults. They also offer special events where visiting artists from around the country and locally come to offer classes in leather working, jewelry making, yarn spinning, weaving, and other art forms.
· Figure Drawing- This workshop is held on one Saturday each month for 2.5 hours where participants will be able to engage in an open format, non-instructed workshop with a nude model. Models will alternate monthly between male and female. Artists are welcome to use whatever medium they are comfortable with and must provide their own materials.
· Try Pottery! - Every Saturday from 3-6pm the Studio is open to anyone who wishes to get their hands dirty and try clay working for the first time. The workshop is divided into two segments—hand working clay and using the wheel. Students will be able to take two of their pieces home with them.
· Try Stained Glass! – This glass is designed to get a feel for working with stained glass before signed up for the full 10-week course. Participants will learn how to cut, copper foil, and solder their glass. They will also get to take their glass home.
· Date Night- Perfect for couples or best friends, Date Night is offered on Friday and Saturday nights and includes a pottery lesson before being set loose on the wheels to design your own piece of clay art. One piece per person is included in the cost.