The Museum of History and Industry is located in Seattle, Washington, and is dedicated to providing people with an innovative, educational, and interesting experience that explores the dense history of Seattle.
The Museum of History and Industry was founded in 1911 with the intent to provide the public with a facility that would showcase the rich history of Seattle in a fun and interesting way. Since it was founded, the Museum of History and Industry has grown to be the largest organization in Washington that is private. Currently, the Museum of History and Industry is home to over 4 million permanent objects.
The Museum of History and Industry’s impact on the community is demonstrated throughout the numerous awards it has received throughout the years, including; Award of Merit from the American Association of State and Local History, Award of Excellence from the Washington Museum Association, Beth Chave Preservation Award from Historic Seattle, and Community Service Award from the American Institute of Architects Seattle Chapter.
Although the Museum of History and Industry has a permanent collection that totals over 4 million objects, the museum only showcases 2% of the collection at a time. In other words, only around 100,000 will be displayed from their permanent collection at a given time. The other 98% of the Museum of History and Industry’s permanent collection remains preserved in storage. This part of the collection is accessible by researchers and historians and will be rotated through specials displays in the museum.
The Museum of History and Industry’s permanent collection has a variety of objects. Think about any type of object that would be historically significant, and the Museum of History and Industry most likely has in. Some of the objects the Museum of History and Industry has includes; a 1880s Fresnel lens that was used for the Smith Island Light House, an original Yesler cable car, various neon signs, baskets from area tribes, recreational equipment, clothing, and art from local artists.
Aside from the display of their extensive permanent collection, the Museum of History and Industry showcases a variety of special traveling art exhibits. Currently, the Museum of History and Industry is only hosting one special attraction. In order to obtain an updated list of the current special attractions, head over to the Museum of History and Industry’s website.
Boeing Flight Path honors the 100th birthday of The Boeing Company. This exhibit showcases how the Boeing has impacted Seattle over the past 100 years. Various artifacts are showcased throughout this exhibit, including; vintage aircraft models, documents, uniforms, prototypes, and rare images. There are even interactive portions of the Boeing Flight Path exhibit. The Boeing Flight Path exhibit will be displayed until July 15, 2017.
The Museum of History and Industry has a variety of educational opportunities that are perfect for the whole family. The museum’s educational opportunities include; museum kits, classes, tours, maker days, and summer camps.
One of the most efficient and accessible educational opportunities at the Museum of History and Industry is their Free Thursdays program. On the first Thursday of every month, admission into the Museum of History and Industry is free all day for everyone. This ensures that everyone has access to the Museum of History and Industry at least one day of the month.
Aside from the typical tours and classes, the Museum of History and Industry offers Maker Days, which occur on the last Saturday of each month. On these days, participants have the opportunity to create an innovative object with the guidance from one of Seattle’s most renowned and innovative artist, builder, or other professional.
Another fantastic educational opportunity at the Museum of History and Industry is the variety of summer camps. The Museum of History and Industry offers five different summer camps, which ensures there is something for everyone. The Back to the Future camp embraces the partnership between the Museum of History and Industry and the Pacific Science Center. The day begins with campers exploring the Pacific Science Center, then heading over to the Museum of History and Industry to participate in hands-on activities. Another popular camp at the Museum of History and Industry is Trailblazers, which ultimately teaches participants how people traveled throughout the ages.
Back to: Best Things to do in Seattle
Terry Ave N, Seattle, WA, 98109, Phone: 206-324-1136
Fun Romantic Weekend Getaways, Beach Resorts, Wedding Venues: IN, Atlanta, NM, ME, Miami, Birthday, Chicago, VA, OR, Couples, NM, LA, Montauk, UT, AR, ID, OK, KS, East Coast, CA, IN, OR, WY, MD, GA water parks, From Dallas, Hilton Head, Boston, day trips from D.C., from Seattle, KS, OR, Missouri, TN, beaches in San Diego, Portland, Charlotte