Magnolia Plantation and Gardens is the oldest public garden in America and the oldest public tourist site in the Lowcountry. Founded in 1676 by the Drayton family, the plantation is the most visited plantation in Charleston, SC and is America's last large scale romantic style garden.
Magnolia Plantation has been family owned since Thomas and Ann Drayton immigrated from Barbados to Charles Towne, an English Colony, in 1676. The plantation is still owned by the descendant of the Drayton family to this day, almost 350 years later. The plantation has seen the entire history of Charleston, and the State of South Carolina played out before it's very grounds.
1.Magnolia Plantation History
4.The Nature Train Tour
5.Plan This Vacation
Things to Do in Charleston, SC: Magnolia Plantation and Gardens
- Magnolia Plantation History, Photo: Courtesy of IKvyatkovskaya - Fotolia.com
- The Gardens, Photo: Courtesy of macangel44 - Fotolia.com
- The House, Photo: Courtesy of emmi - Fotolia.com
- The Nature Train Tour, Photo: Courtesy of Matthewfotolia - Fotolia.com
- Plan This Vacation, Photo: Courtesy of aarud - Fotolia.com
- Cover Photo: Courtesy of YUMU - Fotolia.com