The 1932 Criterion Theatre is a non-profit community theater and art house funded and supported by the public. This 1932 theater has brought entertainment to Downtown Bar Harbor with indie movies, live music, children's theatre, comedians, first-run movies, historical tours, opera, and a wide variety of performing arts.
The multimedia theater is popular for its historic space as the building has retained its original decor from the 1930s, which is maintained in mint condition. Along with great interiors, the theatre is equipped with modern technology, such as a state-of-the-art screen, Dolby surround sound system, superior lighting, projector, and other audio-visual apparatus.
· Movies - The theatreplays first-run movies from time to time. Watch Beauty and the Beast, The Lego Batman Movie, Titanic, and many other movies in one of the most classical settings in town.
· Stories - Hear stories of the 1932 Criterion Theatre from some of the initial guests entertained by the theater. Ralph Garber narrates his date stories at the theatre, going back to the 1950s. Take a walk down memory lane with Ralph, who visits the theatre to reminisce in the glorious times spent at the 1932 Criterion with his late wife Barbara Bishop.
· Live Events - The theater hosts a wide variety of live events at the venue to share the space with the general public. These events change every season to feature free vacation camps, weekly children and family events, music, live musical performances, community events, theater, and many more live activities.
Tickets & Reservations
Theater tickets for movies and performances can be purchased online on the theater’s website. A short description of the show and ticket prices can be viewed before making the purchase.
The theatre is available for rental and can be rented out for private events, both corporate and individual.
The theater is solely run on public donations and while there are community partners assisting in the upkeep of the space, the theater accepts public donations in cash and kind.
· Donations - Much of the theater’s recent renovations were made possible with community donations that came in big and small. To continue with its endeavors of improving and preserving this historic glory, the theatre has set up an online gateway to accept donations in amounts ranging from $10 to $500 using a credit card. For donations made via post, one can enclose a check or furnish credit card details on a donation form available on their website.
· Membership Program - Except for a few free camps and events, visitors are required to purchase tickets in order to take part in the theater activities. By purchasing an annual membership to the theater, one can get exclusive entry to all the events while supporting the theater.
· Volunteering - The theater requires volunteers for the positions of ushering, postering, stage crew, ticketing, and concessions. Interested candidates are required to submit an online volunteer form indicating areas of interest so the theater can avail itself of the service of the community.
Back to: Bar Harbor, Maine
1932 Criterion Theatre, 35 Cottage St Bar Harbor, Maine 04609, Phone: 207-288-0829