Home to the iconic Victoria Harbour, the bustling Tsim Sha Tsui shopping district, exciting theme parks, world class restaurants, and a highly diverse population, Hong Kong is regarded as one of the key cultural hubs of Asia, so it's no surprise that this location also hosts one of Asia's best art shows: Art Central Hong Kong.
All About Art Central Hong Kong
Art Central Hong Kong is an annual art show that brings together some of the world's finest artists, groundbreaking galleries, and most exciting works across a five-day period. Aimed at making art more accessible and allowing people of all ages and from all walks of life to see, experience, and feel the power of each piece, Art Central Hong Kong is one of the defining art shows of the Asian art calendar and is a simply unmissable event for any art lovers in the region.
- Art - The main feature of Art Central Hong Kong is, of course, the art itself. Over 100 galleries are in attendance at this show, with a myriad of amazing works to see and appreciate all around the show floor. Pieces come in various styles and themes, celebrating the diversity and vibrancy of the Asian art world.
- Talks and Discussions - As well as the art itself, Art Central Hong Kong will also feature various talks, discussions, and panels. Asia Society leads the way and gets the ball rolling with various special guests and themed discussions that attendees are welcome to enjoy. Featured artists include Imran Qureshi and Natee Utari, who will be talking about their own views on Asian art as well as sharing their thoughts on their own works, styles, and contributions.
- Projects - One of the most exciting features of Art Central Hong Kong is the ‘Projects’ exhibition. This is a series of large-scale installations you'll find dotted around the show. Grand in both scale and nature, these pieces come from some of Asia's top artists including Hong Kong natives Angela Yuen and Chek Wing Nam, as well as artists from Vietnam, Singapore, Indonesia, and South Korea. Six pieces make up this collection, each with its own voice and personality. Guaranteed to be some of the most thought-provoking pieces at the show, the Projects are simply unmissable.
- Performance - All kinds of art are celebrated and displayed at Art Central Hong Kong. You’ll find sculptures, drawings, paintings, and even performance art too, courtesy of the 4A Centre for Contemporary Asian Art. 4A has been very popular at previous editions of this Hong Kong art show and is planning a big return in 2019 with four interactive, live performance art pieces from leading artists around Asia including Bettina Fung, Siu Lan Ko, and Brian Fuata.
- Accessible to All - For too long, art shows have been completely cut off from large parts of the population. Their pretentious nature and exclusive attitude meant that many people just didn’t feel welcome. Art Central Hong Kong goes in the opposite direction and really pushes an ‘All Are Welcome’ vibe. This show encourages everyone to come along, regardless of age, background, or personality. You don’t need to have an art degree to appreciate the displays and exhibitions at this art show, and there are even special events designed to foster art interest in child guests too.
Art Central Hong Kong 2019
As we can see, Art Central Hong Kong is one of the top art shows operating in Asia and the 2019 edition is set to be even better than ever. Over 100 galleries will be attending and bringing with them some of the finest collections of contemporary Asian art the world has ever seen. Talks and performance pieces, as well as the amazing Projects series, will enhance the showfloor even further. Here’s all you need to know about attending Art Central Hong Kong 2019.
- Location - Art Central Hong Kong 2019 will be held at the Central Harbourfront area of Hong Kong, specifically at 9 Lung Wo Road Central. This location is easy to reach by public transport, with the MTR Hong Kong Station only five minutes away by foot. Free shuttles will also be running between Art Central and Art Basel during the show days.
- Dates - This Hong Kong art show will be running from March 27 to March 31. There will be a special preview event for VIPs on Tuesday 26 March, while the general admission period begins at 11am on Wednesday 27 March. Opening hours will vary from one day to the next, but the show will typically be open for the majority of the afternoon and early evening.
- Tickets - Tickets are required to gain entry to Art Central Hong Kong. You can purchase tickets in advance online, with a variety of ticket options available depending on how much of the show you want to see. Weekday, Weekend, First Night, and Late Night tickets are all available, as well as a VIP option for those who want to get the full experience and access to the exclusive first night event.
- VIP - The VIP pass for Art Central Hong Kong provides access to the VIP Preview on the first night of the show, as well as full access to the entire First Night events programme. You'll also get full access to all the general admission days of the fair, as well as entry into the exclusive VIP lounge area and special VIP events. website