Traveling with children can at times be a bit stressful because they have so many demands. Careful planning ahead of time can save you the headache while on the road. If you are planning a long flight with little kids, read our tips here.
1. Reservations are a must when traveling with children. Request a copy of your reservation if you are booking with a hotel directly or through a travel agent. Print a copy and bring it with you. Same goes with airline tickets – although you can usually retrieve your reservation at the airport by using your credit card or id, make a hard copy of the ticket as well.
2. Once your bags are packed and you know how many you will be checking, print your airline boarding passes at home. This will save you time at the airport. Kids are not good at waiting in line, so anything that you can do ahead of time to shorten the weight time is a good idea.
3. Call your credit card company and let them know that you are planning a trip so that you don’t have problems using your card. Credit card companies fight fraud by preventing suspicious charges to your card. If this is your first trip to a particular destination, make sure that you let them know that you will be traveling. This is especially the case when going overseas, but it’s a good idea for domestic trips as well.
4. Make a list of emergency numbers to call in case you need them on your vacation: your bank, the child’s doctor, a neighbor who can keep an eye on your apartment, etc.
5. Just before departure, check the weather at your destination. That way, you can make last minute wardrobe adjustments if it looks like it will be colder or rainier that expected.
6. If you are flying, don’t leave the house before confirming that your plane will actually be leaving on time. It’s much better to wait with kids at home than at a crowded airport.
7. If you are driving with kids, make sure they have something to do: their favorite movies on a tablet, some video games and books. Look up directions ahead of time so that you will have a good idea of where you are going. Printing a map is also important unless you can pull one up in your car.
8. Remember to charge your phone, camera and other electronic equipment so that you have full batteries on the road. Pack the charger that you plan to use while traveling. Click here for packing tips.
9. Make sure that you have health insurance coverage in your chosen destination. Evacuation insurance is also a good idea in case there is an emergency.
More: Spring getaways for family, Train Rides USA, Caribbean family vacation, Family vacations, train rides for kids, Family Weekend getaways, Family friendly hotels, Winter family vacation, Labor Day, NYC museums, East Coast destinations, College Campuses, family vacations in Wisconsin, Southwest vacations, best science museums, Long weekend getaways From NYC, Family vacation zoos