Featuring delicious French cuisine in a casual French bistro, Chez Fonfo in Birmingham is the kind of restaurant that aims to let its diners experience Paris, Lyons, or Nice. Since the year 2000, the restaurant has been serving classic and hearty French meals like moules et frites, sautéed trout, homemade charcuterie, and steak tartare, all perfectly matched with delicious wines.
Meanwhile, diners are surrounded by authentic French restaurant elements like French Belle Epoque cafe tables, an etched glass door from Lyons that’s over 100 years old, and even the mahogany paneling on the bar.
After a quick snack, meal, or a glass of wine, guests are also welcome to entertain themselves over a game of boule.
Chez Fonfon has made it clear that they do not take reservations of any kind. This is because they prefer to uphold the tradition of liberte, egalite, and fraternite, which promotes the first-come first-served form of seating. They believe that by encouraging people to arrive early, the chances of making guests wait is reduced.
· La Petite Cuisine: Picholine and Niçoise olives, gravlax, country pate of pork ham, charcuterie platter, chicken liver mousse and grilled baguette, frisee aux lardons, fish paillard with local apples, bibb lettuce apples, escargots with shallot and garlic butter, arugula salad with olives, soup du jour
· Les Grands Plats: Coq au vin, veal escalope and mushrooms a la bordelaise, shrimp and avocado salad with sauce remoulade, croque monsieur, croque madame, moules aux saffron et fenouil, trout amandine with brown butter and haricots vert, omelette, hamburger Fonfon, steak frites
· Specialite du Jour:
- Lundi: Ferme
- Mardi: Grilled jumbo shrimp, olive oil, and garlic
- Mercredi: Blanquette de veau
- Jeudi: Crabcake with fines herbs
- Vendredi: Grilled leg of lamb
- Chaque Jour: Fish with choice of fennel celery, butternut, and red onion relish, sauce garbiche, bearre blanc
· Fromages: Jasper Hill Alpha Tolman, Dancing Fern, Ossau-Iraty, Prodigal Farm Hunkadora, Roquefort, Beenster
· Desserts: Pear and almond tart, coconut cake, opera cake, creme caramel
· Les Boissons: Pastis, Sazerac, French, Shaded Negroni, Swiss Sazerac, Pomme Bourbon, The French Mule, Root of All Evil, Ginger Martini, Dijon Sidecar, Grapefruit Gimlet, Centurion, French Blonde, The Great Gatsby, Highlands Martini, Vieux Carre, Citron Presse
Chez Fonfon also offers an incredibly vast selection of fine wine and other beverages to go with its menu items. Note, however, that their menu changes from time to time, so visiting their website for an update on the selection of food and drinks is advised.
Those who dine at Chez Fonfon are encouraged to experience the game of boule, which is a French sport where players have to throw or roll large balls to be as close as possible to a smaller target ball. The fact that it has a rich history with the French makes it an iconic attraction of Chez Fonfon’s dining experience.
For more information, contact 205-939-3221 or visit Chez Fonfon’s website.
Chez Fonfon, 2007 Eleventh Avenue South, Birmingham, AL 35205, Phone: 205-939-3221