Firehouse Wine Bar & Shop in Mobile, AL was established in April 2014 by a husband-and-wife team, Andre Lotz and Margo Alderton. Firehouse maintains an ever-changing list of wine and beer line-ups and keeps the prices affordable as the wine bar was established with the goal of creating a place for people to drop in every day of the week. Firehouse events include Manic Monday Happy Hours, Tuesday Tastings, and Artwalk Second Fridays.
Housed in the historic Mobile Hook & Ladder Company No. 1 at the corner of Bienville Square, Firehouse is Mobile’s prime wine bar, offering an extensive range of wines by the glass and bottle, consisting of wines from selected regions and selected grapes. Guests also get to choose from numerous craft beers on tap and bottled craft beer variations, along with tapas-like plates of finger foods.
Margo Alderton & Andre Lotz
Andre Lotz was born and bred in South Africa, while Margo Alderton was born in Greece and spent much of her time in the Middle East, rural Virginia, and on the East Coast. The duo fell in love and wedded on a vineyard in Constantia Valley, South Africa. This union marked the beginning of a common dream to own a wine bar one day. Margo and Andre, most recently from New York, travelled the world before making Mobile their home. The couple fell in love with downtown Mobile and decided to set-up their dream wine bar in this magnificent Southern city by the sea.
Firehouse Wine Bar & Shop operates 7 days a week, Tuesday through Saturday from 2:00pm to midnight, Sundays from 2:00pm to 10:00pm, and Mondays from 4:00pm to 10:00pm.
Firehouse offers a small menu of Small Plates with Style, served with baked sundried tomato and garlic herb crackers;
· Antipasto Tray - Wine-filled Genoa salami, capicola, and chorizo served with cheese and pickled vegetables.
· Cheese Plate - Six different cheese varieties, like Spanish manchego, bacon cheddar, Spanish Mahon, dill Havarti, and English Port & Sage Derby, served with fruit and nuts.
· Crab Dip - Alaskan king crab and pollock in a creamy sauce with spices and a hint of heat.
· Pesto Spread - Cannellini and basil pesto, topped with sharp asiago and pine nuts.
· Red Pepper Hummus - Chickpea spread with sesame, roasted red pepper, spices, and feta.
· Mixed Olives – Oil-cured Moroccan, California, and Nicoise olives with cornichons.
Wines & Beers
The Firehouse Wine Bar flaunts a custom-built 24-foot copper bar, a semi-private back room, and a store that offers over 200 different varieties of wines and beers. The wine list at Firehouse Wine Bar has a southern-hemisphere focus as it features boutique wines from South Africa, Australia, South Africa, and several South American countries. The list consists of reasonably priced, high quality wines from some of the best vineyards. The Firehouse also houses over 20 local and craft beers offered on tap and by the bottle.
Back to: Things to Do in Mobile
Firehouse Wine Bar & Shop, 216 St. Francis Street, Mobile, Alabama 36602, website, Phone: 251-421-2022