Lake Guntersville is a name that all experienced fishermen will have heard of. It's an almost legendary fishing spot, particularly for bass, and has produced some incredible catches with impressive levels of consistency over the year. It's no surprise that the lake, which stretches some 75 miles in total from Guntersville Dam up to Nickajack Dam, is the home to various fishing tournaments each year. CDC information for travelers. Hours/availability may have changed.
2.Bass Fishing at Lake Guntersville
3.Other Fish to Catch at Lake Guntersville
4.Fishing Guides at Lake Guntersville
Lake Guntersville, Alabama Fishing
- Overview, Photo: JudyK/stock.adobe.com
- Bass Fishing at Lake Guntersville, Photo: Steve Oehlenschlager/stock.adobe.com
- Other Fish to Catch at Lake Guntersville, Photo: bravissimos/stock.adobe.com
- Fishing Guides at Lake Guntersville, Photo: pressmaster/stock.adobe.com
- Cover Photo: Courtesy of StockMediaProduction - Fotolia.com
More Ideas in Alabama: Cathedral Caverns State Park
From Gulf State Park to Cheaha State Park, there are some beautiful natural spaces and scenic locations to visit all around the state of Alabama. Anyone looking for outdoor recreation in the Yellowhammer State will have a lot of options available to them, with many locations being perfectly suited for hiking, cycling, camping, and many other outdoor activities for the whole family to enjoy.
While many of the state parks all around Alabama, and much of the rest of the United States, are dominated by lakes, forests, rivers, and mountains, some state parks offer totally different experiences and are actually mostly located underground in extensive cave and cavern systems. Cathedral Caverns State Park is one of these locations, and it's one of the best Alabama state parks to visit.
Cathedral Caverns State Park - Alabama State Park
Situated in Kennamer Cover, just a few miles from the nearby towns of Woodville and Grant in Marshall County, Cathedral Caverns State Park is one of the most unique and beloved state parks in all of Alabama. Only opened as a state park in the year 2000, Cathedral Caverns has been classed as a National Natural Landmark since 1972 and has been a popular tourist site since the 1950s, when it was simply known to the public as 'Bats Cave'. Here's all you need to know about Cathedral Caverns State Park:
- The History - Archaeological discoveries in the Cathedral Caverns State Park area suggest that Native Americans have been living in the area for centuries, with some findings even suggesting that the caves were inhabited by man thousands of years ago. The area all around the Cathedral Caverns State Park, Kennamer Cove, was named after the Kennamer family who settled there in the 19th century. The Kennamers actually hid out in the caves during the Civil War after their own farmhouse had been burned down by soldiers fighting for the North. It was in the 1950s that the caverns started to take off as a tourist and recreation area, being owned and operated by Jay Gurley at the time. The area was eventually sold to the State of Alabama in the late 80s. Renovation work was undertaken and the caves were opened up as Cathedral Caverns State Park in 2000.
- Camping at Cathedral Caverns State Park - Camping is perfectly possible in the area around Cathedral Caverns State Park, with both basic and more fully-equipped camping areas available. Those interested in classic camping can visit the Cathedral Caverns State Park Backcounty Campsite. Getting to this site involves hiking for nearly a mile with all your camping equipment, so it can be a challenge, but it will definitely appeal to old-fashioned campers. A stay here costs just $5 per night, per person. Those who prefer a more modern camping experience can visit the regular camping sites which feature full 30/50 amp RV hook-ups ($20 per night) as well as more primitive sites with fire rings ($13 per night). No reservations are taken, so sites are provided on a first come, first served basis, and there is a bathhouse for the use of campers.
- Visiting Cathedral Caverns State Park - Cathedral Caverns State Park is located at 637 Cave Road, Woodville AL. The Welcome Center for the park opens up at 9am and is open on a daily basis. This a day-use park that can be fully enjoyed from sunrise until sunset. The park itself features an incredible cavern system with a huge, cathedral-like entrance and some unique features like the 'Goliath' stalagmite, which is 45 feet tall and 243 feet in circumference, making it one of the biggest in the world, as well as a frozen waterfall. There's a lot to see in the caves, and the ambient temperature us around 60 degrees all year long, making it quite a comfortable place to explore at any time of year.
- Things To Do At Cathedral Caverns State Park - The best way to experience Cathedral Caverns State Park is to sign up for one of the daily cave tours. Available for a small fee of just $19 for adults or $9 for children, with discounts available for groups and students, the Cathedral Caverns State Park cave tours run several times per day. With these tours, a trained guide will lead the way and show you some of the unique features of the caverns, as well as explaining the geology and history of the location. Gem mining is also a popular activity here and can be enjoyed throughout the day by visitors of all ages. You're able to buy a bag of 'rough' gemstone and then wash and clean it the old-fashioned way to unveil the gems within. There are also some beautiful scenic hiking trails in the area.
Overall, Cathedral Caverns State Park is one of the best state parks to visit in the state of Alabama. Offering a totally different experience to so many other state parks, this location features an exciting and historic cavern system with some awe-inspiring rock formations and plenty of fun things to do.
More Ideas in Alabama: Perdido Beach Resort
Known to some as the Gulf Coast Paradise, the Perdido Beach Resort is located in Orange Beach, Alabama. It is just the place, as the name implies in Spanish, where vacationers can lose themselves, swept up in sugar-white sand, high-quality amenities and Gulf Shore views. Perdido Beach Resort offers its guests a romantic, adventurous getaway, full of beach living, Southern cuisine and high-end, resort accommodations.
Angle View Rooms – Distinct for its private balcony and partial vista of the Gulf Coast, the Angle View Rooms offer its guest a king-size bed or two queen-size beds. These rooms are located on the external part of the Perdido Beach Resort’s West tower. This room is approximately 350sf. Guests enjoy exclusive amenities such as valet or self-parking as well as full access to the exercise facility. Guests can rest assured that there will be no hidden or additional resort fees during their stay at the Perdido Beach Resort. Tranquil colors matched with bright white bedding and walls create an atmosphere for ultimate relaxation.
Pass View Rooms – Located on the external part of the East tower, the Pass View rooms are approximately 350sf and have a private outdoor balcony space to enjoy the enchanting Gulf Coast. Guests can choose either a king-size or two queen-size beds, while also taking advantage of valet or self-parking, as well as all-inclusive access to the exercise facility.
Pool View Rooms – These rooms are approximately 350sf. They are located on the internal part of the guest towers and offer its guests a view of the beach shoreline and resort pool from its private balcony. All other standard resort amenities are offered to guests who choose to lodge in the Pool View Rooms.
Gulf View Rooms – Just as the name of these rooms allude, the Gulf View Rooms are located on the end of the West and East towers and offer its guests panoramic Gulf vistas. These rooms are a more spacious 425sf. Guests can choose either a king or queen/double bed sizes. All other standard resort amenities are offered to guests who choose to stay in the Gulf View Rooms.
Courtyard Suite – Situated on the internal part of the West tower, guests who lodge in the Courtyard Suite have a view of the resort pool below as well as a partial view of the Gulf Shore. Guests can truly relax in their spacious 710sf Courtyard Suite, complete with a king-size bed, living and dining spaces and outdoor, private balcony. All other standard resort amenities, like valet or self-parking as well as access to the exercise facility, are available to guests who lodge at the Courtyard Suite.
One Bedroom Executive Suite – This suite is an impressive 1252-1392sf, with ample room for a large family or group who desire a more spacious, separated lodging experience. Located at the end of the West and East towers, guests can wake up to a full, panoramic Gulf Shore paradise vista. The bedroom is connected to a parlor, with either a king-size bed or two queen-size beds. A spacious balcony allows guests to have some outdoor space to marvel at the Gulf paradise. The parlor area is complete with a living and dining space, full bathroom and a wet bar. The wet bar contains a microwave, coffee maker, refrigerator and rollaway bed. All other standard resort amenities are available to guests who lodge in the One Bedroom Executive Suite.
Two Bedroom Executive Suite – This suite is similar to the accommodations and amenities offered in the One Bedroom Executive Suite. What makes this suite unique is that it offers guests two bedrooms. The first bedroom has two queen-size beds and the second has a king-size bed. Each bedroom has access to an outdoor, private balcony. This suite is 1667-1769sf.
Eighth Floor Club Level Guest Rooms – The eighth floor of the Perdido Beach Resort is by far the most requested level of all the levels the resort has to offer. Creating a truly VIP vacation experience, eighth floor lodgers have access to a private lounge area. Complimentary continental breakfast, along with snacks and refreshments throughout the day, and alcoholic beverages at night are all part of the eighth floor VIP treatment. The lounge area invites children supervised by adults throughout the daytime hours, however it becomes an exclusive adult area when the bar opens up at night. There is professionally trained resort staff present in the lounge during the morning and evening hours to ensure complete guest satisfaction. The goal of the Perdido Beach Resort is to create a lodging atmosphere that is both tranquil and upscale.
There are a wide assortment of amenities and accommodations available to guests who lodge at the Perdido Beach Resort. Some of these amenities and accommodations include the following:
-Complimentary high-speed Internet
-Bedding and toiletries
-Flat screen television
-Free valet or self-parking
Voyagers – At Voyagers, guests are invited to a formal, elegant dining setting that perfectly combines tastes and flavors representative to the Gulf Shore, along with spectacular beach views. Guests can dine assured that the ingredients, seafood and meats are locally grown, sustainable and organic. Signature dishes included Roasted Gulf Whole Fish, Pan Seared Cobia and Voyager’s Paella. Open daily for dinner, guests are sure to leave satisfied by the service, the atmosphere and the cuisine.
Latitude 30 – Located inside the Perdido Beach Resort, Latitude 30 is the ideal location for families and guests who desire a more casual dining atmosphere. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner daily, guests can start the day off right with their breakfast buffet, grab a quick sandwich before heading out to the beach, or come in the evening after a long day in the sun. Matchless views of the Perdido Pass welcome guests and accompany them as they eat. Some of the popular lunch specials include Mojito Lime Grilled Chicken Wrap, Shrimp Po’Boy, and Snapper “Reuben.”
Perdido Beach Pizza Co. – For guests in search of a hit-the-spot pizza and ice cream, they need not look any farther than Perdido Beach Pizza Co. For guests and local residents alike, Perdido Beach Pizza is a hit. Pizzas of all sizes are offered for purchase, as well as ice-cold non-alcoholic beverages and draft beer. The hand-dipped, signature ice cream is sure to end the night right. At Perdido Beach Pizza Co., families of all sizes and ages are welcome. Wide-screen televisions can be found on the outdoor deck.
Splash Bar & Grille – The Splash Bar & Grille offers guests a poolside, open-air location to snack and swim. With premium, handmade cocktails, guests can let the sun soak in while reclined on a pool lounge chair. Other menu favorites include All-American burgers and fries. Live music is featured throughout the week during seasonal hours.
Lobby Lounge – To unwind and disconnect after a long day of action, guest can visit the Lobby Lounge for an adult drink in its casual and welcoming atmosphere. Drinks include wine, craft beers, signature cocktails as well as spirits. Live music can also be heard in the Lobby Lounge on Thursday evenings.
Things To Do
There are an unlimited amount of ways for guests to fill their days and agendas while lodging at the Perdido Beach Resort. Both the Gulf Shores and Orange Beach have enticing nightlife scenes and entertainment, as well as a large variety of family-friendly events and attractions. Some of these activities and attractions include the following:
-Indoor/outdoor pool and indoor hot tubs
-Wild Hearts Cruises
-Water sports (paddle board, jet ski and kayak rentals)
-Hot air balloon rides
-Deep-sea diving adventures
27200 Perdido Beach Blvd, Orange Beach, AL 36561, Phone: 800-634-8001
Back to: Romantic Weekend Getaways in Alabama