An African safari often features at the top of many people’s lists of dream vacations. There’s nothing quite like it anywhere else on Earth, and at a time when so much of the world is being taken over by people, turned into cities and homes, it can be wonderfully liberating and reinvigorating to see pristine lands and wild animals roaming free. One of the best places to go on an African safari is Uganda.
Uganda is often described as a microcosm of the entire African continent, due to its rich landscapes and incredible diversity. From grassy plains to lush forests, snow-topped mountains, and shimmering lakes, Uganda has it all.
The River Nile flows through Uganda, with the likes of Lake Victoria, the Western Rift Valley, and the Impenetrable Forest making up just a few of the country's other iconic landmarks, and the nation is home to incredible biodiversity, playing home to lions, leopards, elephants, zebras, antelopes, and countless birds. If you’re planning a Uganda safari, Wildplaces Africa can provide the perfect accommodation.
Wildplaces Africa - Uganda Safari Camps and Lodges
Established back in 1993, the Wildplaces group is owned and operated by people who are truly passionate about the beauty of Uganda and the rich cultural and natural heritage of this East African nation. Wildplaces works closely with local wildlife and research authorities to pursue conservation projects around Uganda, as well as running safari tours, hiking adventures, fishing trips, and more.
Wildplaces Africa is the group's exclusive line of deluxe accommodation, made up of lodges and camps dotted around the Ugandan wilderness. Offering award-winning, intimate, unique lodges and camps all around Uganda, Wildplaces Africa can provide you with the perfect accommodation for your dream trip. There are currently three different camps and lodges to choose from. Learn about each one below.
Apoka Safari Lodge in Kidepo Valley National Park
- Location - The Apoka Safari Lodge is actually situated in the breathtaking Kidepo Valley National Park. When most people think of Africa, the sort of landscapes and scenes they imagine in their minds are exactly what you'll find at Kidepo Valley. Plains stretch out as far as the eye can see, with hills and mountains dotted around the horizon and all kinds of wildlife living freely all around. The likes of lions, cheetahs, elephants, and giraffes can be spotted here, and this is actually the only park in all of Uganda where giraffes and zebras can be found walking side by side.
- Accommodation - The Apoka Safari Lodge is equipped with 10 rooms in total, each one designed to the highest standards and fitted with handmade furnishings and decorative items. The beds are large and comfortable, complete with mosquito nets and luxurious sheets, while the rooms are also equipped with quality towels, elegant robes, and private verandas.
- Amenities and Activities - The Apoka Safari Lodge features a large terrace area, with all of the rooms having their own ourdoor space with stone bathtub. There's also a large swimming pool, carved right out of the natural rock. Local activities include safari trips, wildlife spotting, and similar outdoor adventures.
Clouds Mountain Gorilla Lodge - Best Accommodation at Bwindi Impenetrable Forest
- Location - The Clouds Mountain Gorilla Lodge is the perfect accommodation option to choose if you plan on visiting the legendary Bwindi Impenetrable Forest. Exceptionally remote and private, Clouds Mountain Gorilla Lodge offers total intimacy and breathtaking views from a height of 2,000m above sea level. It's the highest lodge in the whole country and looks out over lush vegetation, the Virunga volcanoes, and the misty wilderness beyond.
- Accommodation - Guests at Clouds Mountain Gorilla Lodge will be treated to their own private cottage. Made from locally sourced volcanic stone, these cottages come equipped with spacious living areas, fireplaces, cozy armchairs, local artwork on the walls, and more. You'll also get your own private butler, offering all the care and services you could require to have a wonderful stay and feel like a true VIP.
- Amenities and Activities - Guests at the Clouds Mountain Gorilla Lodge will be able to spend time in the communal main lodge area, offering cozy seating and high ceilings. Massage and spa services are offered here as well, and popular activities in the area include heading off on hiking trails through the forest in search of chimpanzees.
Semliki Safari Lodge at Semliki Wildlife Reserve
- Location - Many people visit Africa, especially Uganda, to see as many animals as possible, and if that's your aim, the Semliki Safari Lodge at the Semliki Wildlife Reserve is the perfect place for you. A small and intimate location, surrounded by wildlife, the Semliki Safari Lodge really lets guests experience the authentic, natural side of Africa that they won't find in the big cities or main tourist hotspots.
- Accommodation - Guests at the Semliki Safari Lodge will be staying in luxury tents with wooden floors and modern comforts. Only 18 guests are allowed at the Semliki Safari Lodge at any one time, so it's always quiet and intimate, ideal for romantic getaways or honeymoons. The tents are equipped with en-suite bathrooms and top-quality beds.
- Amenities and Activities - Guests at the Semliki Safari Lodge will be served tea or coffee direct to their tents each morning. They can also gather in the main lodge area, sitting down in cozy chairs with a good book or good company to relax and recuperate after a big day out in the reserve. Activities here include many miles of hiking trails, eco-tours, wildlife spotting, and learning all about the Semliki Chimpanzee Research Project from the on-site expert. website