Zip line tours and experiences are becoming more and more popular in modern times. These aerial adventures started off decades ago but have seen a real surge in popularity in recent years as people look for more exciting ways to get outdoors and get in touch with nature. Zip line tours often regarded as only appealing to thrillseekers, but can actually be a lot of fun for people of all ages and backgrounds. Whether you’re looking for an adrenaline rush or just a new way to enjoy the beauty of nature, zip lines have a lot to offer.
Most zip line tours take place outdoors, allowing guests to enjoy scenic views of forests, mountains, rivers, and more. However, indoor zip lines do also exist and are growing in popularity too, offering some key advantages over their outdoor counterparts. Just a few years ago in 2014, the longest indoor zip line in North America opened up at the Mall of America in Bloomington, Minnesota, sending riders on an 800 foot flight at heights of up to 55 feet from the ground, and many more indoors zip line experiences have been opening up all around the US and internationally.
Advantages of Indoor Zip Lines
You might be wondering why you would choose an indoor zip line over an outdoor zip line. Well, indoor experiences might not be able to offer the same scenic views and natural experiences as the outdoor options, but they do have some key advantages:
· Weather – Most zip line tours run in both rain and shine, with some even running during the snow, but the weather can wreak havoc on zip line experiences from time to time. Zipping in the rain can be fun for some people, but it can also be a literal washout for others, and zip lines do sometimes have to close down completely due to adverse weather conditions. The advantage to indoor zip lines is that they can run all year long and guarantee a 100% dry and warm flight.
· No bugs or other issues – Outdoor zip lines involve a lot of preparation. They often take place in wooded areas with lots of insects flying around, meaning that bug spray is a must. Zip lines can also result in sunburns on sunny days, meaning that guests also have to remember to take sunscreen along. For indoor zip lines, you don’t need to worry about any of those issues.
· Speed and freedom – All zip line courses and tours are safe, but they often involve a long introductory session in order to teach everyone how to use the equipment. Indoor zip lines are often much faster to get going and provide additional freedom to guests, allowing them to navigate the courses and obstacles at their own pace.
· Additional Activities – Many indoor zip line courses are set in indoor adventure areas with additional activities for all ages like rock walls, obstacle courses, playgrounds, trampolines, and more.
Indoor Zip Lines
There are literally dozens of indoor zip line courses, tours, and experiences all around North America. Here are some examples:
· Barnacle Blast - Mall of America, 5000 Center Ct, Bloomington, MN 55425 (952 883-8800)
The Barnacle Blast zip line is the longest indoor zip line experience in the whole of North America, offering 800 feet of zip lining fun over 50 feet away from the mall floor. This attraction is part of the Nickelodeon Universe adventure park and guests have to be at least 48" tall to ride.
· Mega Zips - 1841 Taylor Ave, Louisville, KY 40213 (877 614-6342)
Set deep underground in the center of Louisville, Kentucky, this is the only underground zip line tour in the whole US. This zip line tour takes place is Louisville's Mega Cavern, a huge former limestone mine that has since been converted and used for a number of other purposes. The zip line tour features six zip lines and two challenge bridges and is led by friendly guides who offer cool info about the cavern.
· Soarin' Indoors - 422 North Main Street, Manchester, CT 06042 (860 645-1595)
New England's first indoor aerial adventure course, Soarin' Indoors offers dozens of obstacles to overcome, including balance bridges, beams, poles, nets, ropes, and more, as well as several zip lines, all in the warm, dry comfort of an indoor arena. This attraction is a lot of fun for visitors of all ages and has proven a big hit with children in particular.